Author Topic: Help!!!  (Read 2214 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Help!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 21:03:37 pm »
Great update!!
So, remember all this good stuff when you have a tricky day because this really does show that you can make great steps towards self settling. I truly believe it is a gift to give a child the ability to go to sleep independently, that they are so confident in themselves and in you that they are happy to drift off to dream land :)

Offline MamaCooke

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 21:04:45 pm »
So here is an example of our EASY sched. It's not to a T because the time we wake up varies somewhere between 630-830 am. But the timing between naps always stays about the same ranging between 2-3 hours for about 45 mins-90 mins.

730 wake up, change diaper, nurse
8-1030 activity
1030-1130 change diaper, nurse and nap (naps vary 45-90 min)
1130-12 lunch, change diaper
12-330 activity
330-430 change diaper, nurse and nap
5-530 dinner
530-630 hangs out in high chair while we eat a little and activity
630 bath
7-730 change diaper, nurse and bedtime

What does NW, TBH and UT 😣 lol

So the first middle of the night attempt it was an hour long of me nursing first then laying him down in his crib first sitting there and out of room. He was wide awake and fussing and crying or playing that whole hour and then I gave up and co slept with him he went straight to sleep. Second middle of the night attempt he woke at 1230 so I didn't think he was hungry since he had just nursed at 730 so I tried letting him self settle without me going in the room at all. He fussed a little. Mostly babbling. After 45 mins then I tried talking to him through the baby monitor with key words for 15 mins. Again, an hour was long enough for me. Went in nursed him and co slept and he went straight to sleep. He nurses 1-2xs a night. Wakes at 1230 and 430 or just 430. Usually both xs as of late. What can I do?

Offline MamaCooke

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 21:09:33 pm »
Also forgot to mention that now when I lay him down for naps or bed I don't have to sit with him in there anymore. Just kiss and "night night" and I'm out the door. He either cries for 5 mins or no crying at all! Even more progress!!!!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 19:04:01 pm »
But the timing between naps always stays about the same ranging between 2-3 hours for about 45 mins-90 mins.
AT 8 months the guidance time is 3-4 hrs so you're on the low end or possibly too low on the A times.  If you're getting 45 min naps this is also a sign of UT (under tired) which means LO is not tired enough to transition into the next sleep cycle.  Extending the A time can really help to extend the nap. During sleep training it is often useful to also go in to LO just before the transition time and help him through the transition using your soothing method (eg, firm hand or key phrase).
It's quite hard to tell from your EASY what your exact times are simply because the nap varies. So the first A time looks like 3hrs but the second looks like 4 hrs (4hrs is unlikely to be too short but could be for some).

He nurses 1-2xs a night. Wakes at 1230 and 430 or just 430. Usually both xs as of late. What can I do?
It's quite normal for a BF baby to feed twice in the night.  I would just go ahead and feed him then work on the gradual withdrawal and self settling directly after feeding.  Thing is if he is hungry he's not going to settle.  If he thinks you will eventually co-sleep he'll hold out for that.  If you are going to co-sleep you might as well go ahead and do that right away rather than an hour later when you're exhausted.  I would feed and then use your energy to encourage him to go back to sleep in his own bed without you in it (but with you helping him sleep if needed).
With night feeds check the time, if it's been a reasonable time between feeds (say 4-5hrs) then feed.  If he wakes before this time then re-settle without feeding.  12.30 and 4.30 look like reasonable times for a feed to me.

Just kiss and "night night" and I'm out the door. He either cries for 5 mins or no crying at all! Even more progress!!!!
Lovely :)  I'm assuming when you say crying for 5 mins you mean a mantra cry which he is using to self settle.

You've had so much progress! Great!! :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 19:14:18 pm »
Sorry also meant to post this link for you
Site Acronyms/Abbreviations - What they are, and what they mean.
I know all the abbreviations can be annoying but it saves us so much time when responding to many threads, you'll get used to it very quickly I'm sure :)