Author Topic: Fighting the last CN- need advice!-1.  (Read 1221 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 14, 2015, 21:43:53 pm »
Hi,

My DD will be 6 mos next week- and is starting to really fight the last CN of the day.  Currently, she takes 2 longer naps (1.5 hr) naps during the day and then usually a 20-30 min CN in the evening and then bathtime/bedtime routine at 630 and asleep around 7.  Recently however she wakes up from her last nap around 3 or 330 and is not tired for the 5 or 530 CN and just cannot settle and cries.  I'm hesitant to put her to bed much earlier because I don't want her to wake up earlier than she already does (between 6 and 7am).  Is it OK to stretch her A time to 3 + hours before bed to make it to her bedtime if we stick with really low key activities or is this asking for overtired?  She is currently doing 2hrs 45 mins A time during the day....

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Sample EASY from today:

5:45: WU (tried to get back down, wasn't having it)
6:35: E
8:30-10:15: S
10:20: E
1:00-3:00: S
5:15: tried to put down but cried and fussed (we do PU/PD so I tried doing this as well) until 5:40 (because at that point I didn't want her to fall asleep at 5:40!)
I'm hoping she can make it to bath at 6:30 but that would mean almost 4 hrs awake by the end of the day!!!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Fighting the last CN- need advice!-1.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 19:04:17 pm »
Hi - sorry your post has been missed - I shall bump it for you  :)

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 19:09:34 pm »
Oh my, I'm so so sorry you were missed hun!

How's everything now? It sounds like you're so very close to dropping the CN. 2hrs 45mins is great, would be nicer to get closer to 3hrs for the first two A's before we can drop it completely. I'll post a link for you at the end to have a read through.

Personally I'm always hesitant to stretch the last. A of the day as my DD never liked too long of an A before BT as it caused OT NW's in the early part of the night. I'd much prefer to deal with any possible OT in the beginning of the day because at least then there's a chance of resettling the nap and less likely to result in early morning waking which it seems like you're getting?

Have a read through the link for me, let me know what you think and we'll make a plan ok? Xx

All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 19:12:06 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 19:12:10 pm »
Hi
She is currently doing 2hrs 45 mins A time during the day....
I would increase all A times to 3hrs to even out the day. If she is comfortable on 2hr 45 but resisting the CN then likely she can drop that now but you don't want the earlier naps coming too early resulting in a very long A time to bed.
eg
WU 6
A 3
S 9-11
A 3
S 2-4
A 3
BT 7
Some times it does help to put them down a little earlier at BT when dropping a nap, maybe 6.30pm.  Moving the first nap time later can also encourage LOs to sleep a little longer before morning WU time too, so you might like that.

What do you think?

(posted same time as Kellyjs)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 20:53:27 pm »
Thank you for your advice!  I just started the 2 hr 45 min A time on Tuesday and had *awesome* naps (FINALLY) on Wednesday and Thursday.  I couldn't believe it.  Then today, after a good 1st nap, she only took 30 mins for her 2nd and I did PU/PD until her feed.  So of course I was assuming she was overtired (we had gone to a music class in between 1st and 2nd nap) so I put her down after 2 hrs 15 mins for a 3rd and final nap- but she WOULD NOT GO DOWN. It just took me 55 mins PU/PD to get her down.  I guess my point in this is to ask:

1) Should I stick with 2 hrs 45 mins a couple more days and start 3 hrs when she definitely isn't OT?

2) What is a good general rule of thumb for those times when she is OT and takes a 30 min nap? I know it's going to happen from time to time so I'm just wondering what you suggest - how much A time to cut back on and what to expect (in general) for the next nap....are all the rest of the naps shot?

3.) Totally not having to do with anything previously- but if she takes that last CN and it goes till 530 or so- should I bump back BT to a later time?  Or is it good to stick to BT being at or around the same time each night?  For instance, if she gets up from CN at 545, should I push BT to 730?  Or keep it at 7?

Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 17:47:41 pm »
1) Should I stick with 2 hrs 45 mins a couple more days and start 3 hrs when she definitely isn't OT?
As you've only been on 2hr 45 a couple of days I'd stick there

2) What is a good general rule of thumb for those times when she is OT and takes a 30 min nap? I know it's going to happen from time to time so I'm just wondering what you suggest - how much A time to cut back on and what to expect (in general) for the next nap....are all the rest of the naps shot?
I didn't reduce A time by much or I'd be risking nap refusal or an UT nap which turned out worse than OT on most occasions

3.) Totally not having to do with anything previously- but if she takes that last CN and it goes till 530 or so- should I bump back BT to a later time?  Or is it good to stick to BT being at or around the same time each night?  For instance, if she gets up from CN at 545, should I push BT to 730?  Or keep it at 7?
Sorry not easy to answer. For some LOs they will still do the same BT, for others they refuse and need a later BT.  Mine could cope with a very short A to BT but some can't. Trial and error to see what your LO prefers I suppose. You can always try for normal BT and if there is refusal take her out of the room do an activity for 30 mins and try again.

hth