Author Topic: 8 month old only on one nap!!  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Rara27

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old only on one nap!!
« on: October 15, 2015, 17:01:10 pm »
 Please help!

My ds is/was waking early in the morning, 5.30. l've tried to fix this by extending his A-time to 3.5 hours but that means his afternoon nap is at school run time. Yesterday & today he didn't nap in his pushchair.

Todays EASY so far

E- 4.30
Awake 7
E - refused milk straight to breakfast
S - 10.20 - 11.50 (l woke him up)
E - refused milk again
S - walk to school but no nap. Tried putting him in his cot, at 3.40, on our return but wouldn't settle. Tried feeding him but refusing milk  :'( but thats a different topic!

My plan was for him to have a 1.5 hour nap in the morning & 1 hour in the pushchair at school pick up time. Would l be better trying for two 1 hour naps? Putting him down for his first nap earlier? (but l think the early wakings was due to his first nap being to early that's why l've adjusted it all) Or any other advice you can offer?

l have no idea what to do or how to fix this!
Charlotte

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 8 month old only on one nap!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 21:46:37 pm »
If you feel that he needs two naps, than yes, I think two 1 hour naps would be just fine.  There is another woman here who's DD3 made the 2-1 transition around the same time.  She just has LSN.  Is your DS happy and alert throughout the day? 
One thing I have learned, now that I have two little ones, is that if the nap doesn't happen but he's still sleeping well at night  and happy through the day, c'est la vie!  This morning DS2 only had a 30 minute nap (that drives me nuts but he's not bothered by it).  I'm hoping he'll sleep a full 2 hours this afternoon but that remains to be seen.  Regardless, I've learned to roll with it because really, what else can you do?

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 22:09:24 pm »
Yes he is happy & alert during the day, he did last out until bedtime at 6.30 but he was clingy & constantly sucking his thumb. Not sure he could mange it every day. What does LSN mean? If l can find it/them I'll take a look at the 2-1 transition threads. I thought he'd be too young for that yet but if one long nap works better then so be it! As you say, we just have to roll with it!
Charlotte

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:55:23 am »
LSN is low sleep needs and I'll ask the woman to pop by and see if she has anything to offer.  For the time being I'd try the two 1hr naps and see how that goes.  I've included the link for the 2-1 group below.

Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 14:51:14 pm »
Hi there! I am the aforementioned mom of a lsn lo who went to one nap super early! I have a few questions...

What time is bedtime and do you get any nw's?
When did he switch to having two naps a day?
What time do you leave for school pick up?

With my DD3 I clued in she was lower sleep needs when she transitioned to 2 naps by 4 months, her nights have always been decent (well after the 4 month gs stuff anyways!) but nw/ew always happened when she had too much day sleep. She is also quite spirited which I think helped her power through the 2-1. One thought I had was if it worked with the pick up time would be to have a short morning catnap and a longer afternoon nap. We always did long morning and short afternoon catnap but then the morning A got so long that she refused her catnap even with a lot of ap, so we stopped offering it.
Heidi

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 07:26:15 am »
Hi there! Thanks so much for helping me.

Bedtime is 6.30 & we normally get one nw but had two or more the last two or three nights. 
Between 5-6 months.
We leave at 3pm.

Short morning 30 minute nap? Or did you mean slightly longer? Yesterday we were out for the day. He had his morning nap in the car - lasted no longer than 30 minutes & the same in his pushchair. Was awake at 5.30. Tried to resettle him, that lasted for about 15 minutes, was up by 5.50 with him.
Charlotte

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:31:08 am »
Yesterday looked something like this.

Woke at 5.30
Nap at 9.30 - 11.10
Feel asleep in pushchair 3.30/3.40 - 4.15

Woke at 4.30am for a feed. Went back to bed. Not sure if he slept but he was quiet until 5.30 when he started crying out & l got him up.
Charlotte

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 02:32:43 am »
For us an 11 hour night was par for the course and when we were on two naps sometimes even 10/10.5 was all we got. I would try a 45 min morning nap maybe and shorten up the A time in between to keep the afternoon nap from running too late but you may have to cap that one too. And then the idea is to keep shortening the morning nap and bringing the 2nd one sooner but tbh we jumped cold turkey as I am impatient!!
Heidi

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 11:08:08 am »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Yesterday we did 2 x 45 minute naps & this morning he slept till 7am  ;D

Hopefully it's not a one off but we'll see what happens tonight.
Charlotte

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:48:25 am »
Woohoo!! Fx for the night xx
Heidi

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 23:01:55 pm »
Two 4am wake ups thanks to the changing of the clocks! I'm impatient too but not sure ds could cope with jumping straight to one nap. How long did it roughly take your little one to adjust?
Charlotte

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 01:06:30 am »
Oh my not sure I could really remember that tbh! She is so full on that she just goes...was maybe more crabby than usual but heck half the time she is either teething or having a growh spurt and cranky due to hunger so hard to know really. No btdt with time change either sorry!
Heidi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 08:08:49 am »
Here it took good 2 months to a full transition (from 10mo when the first day on 1 nap happened till 12mo when he was 6/7 days a week on a one longer nap) and still we did have 2 naps a day here or there up to 15mo I guess.
~Marta