Author Topic: Toddler won't sleep without me- where to start help!  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Mrsb3

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Toddler won't sleep without me- where to start help!
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:13:39 am »
Hello ladies,

I really don't know where to start with my daughter. She is 16 months and breastfed. She feeds once through the day around 2.30 drinks fine from her beaker invetween meals but my issue is she feeds all.night.long and will not sleep in her own cot nor will she sleep in my bed without me. She will wake up every hour or so to find my boobs, grab them, pull them... It's really frustrating and I tell her no" she gets grumpy but will go back to sleep yet an hour later will try it again and then have a big feed. This is irritating as my husband has resorted to sleep in our other toddlers room and it's starting to effect our marriage a bit.

The worst part is she feeds for 45 mins at bed time and will tussle around for a further 30 mins in our bed until she falls asleep (not at the boob) then I transfer hero her cot and then 40mins later she is screaming! I only get a small amount of time to clean up the kitchen sweep the floors etc.. And that's my night gone. Where do I start I feel so lost?

She sleeps 12-2 through the day and her bed time is 8pm-7am it we have to start bed time routine at 6pm as it takes that long for her to wind down. Bath, story, nursery rhymes then feed in bed

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Toddler won't sleep without me- where to start help!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:43:52 am »
Hugs, hun. What a lovely mummy you are to be there for her with the night long nursathons. Is it possible to move her into her own room? Is that something you would consider? Or would hubby be willing to deal with the NWs during this process? Either way, we're here to help you deal with this :)

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 18:00:56 pm »
I would really like her to be in her own room (all night)
and I don't mind at all any pupd but just don't know where to start... She is teething aswell so I don't think she is going to make this easy for me by no means. I don't really want to ask Hubby as he gets up early for work plus he sleeps with our other toddler.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 06:42:09 am »
Hi Hun, have a look at this link it's got lots of good info re sleep training and choosing an appropriate method for your toddler! Toddler Specific Sleep Training Advice

I think in all honestly you are her prop and when she falls asleep on you and you put her in bed asleep she wakes up wondering where you have gone. I would try and change things up a bit, maybe quick feed and a story in her room, then no more boob but into her own bed no laying on your bed.

If shes having a good diet she doesn't need that length of night feed, I'd personally be offering a sip of water from a cup or nothing at this age. How about starting with gradual withdrawal, so you sit right next to her crib reassuring her and just repeating its sleepy time now lay down etc or whatever phrase you use at bedtime. you will need to do this at every NW, it will be tough and she protest but she will get the idea of you stay consistant, your just teaching her a new skill. Every few nights you move further away...it will give u more in depth in that link Ive attached.

It is a tough age with teeth, sleep regressions etc but mummy needs sleep too  :)
Zoe

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 21:01:44 pm »
Thank you ladies,

Newkidontheblock- that she very kind of you to say.

Haribo2013- thank you for the advise I am defiantly going to do that then sounds like s good place to start. My only worry is what I can replace my boobs with for get comfort. I know it would just be another prop and I do want her to learn how to sleep independently but I'm just not sure I want her to  be without anything... She has never had a dummy or comfort blanket - maybe one of my t shirts might help? Or would that just wind her up?? Perhaps I'm over thinking this  ???

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 08:05:49 am »
You could try a bit of role play with a cuddly toy, putting it to bed giving it a cuddle saying night night etc and then let her do it...plenty of time playing in crib at sleep games sometimes gives them the right idea, or just go without. Not all kids have comforters, my DS had s soft toy but then just stopped being bothered as he got older.

Zoe