Author Topic: 16 Month Old Early Waking  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Katebydesign

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 24, 2015, 14:30:29 pm »
Hi all,
My DD has always been a terrible sleeper.  Up until 15 months she was waking 3-4 times a night.  We are finally to a point that she can sleep 8-10 hours without a peep or a bump in the night.  However, now that she's not waking several times a night, her wake time has become 5am.  Before it was fairly consistently 6 or 6:30am.  Here is her schedule:

5-5:30 wake time
9:30-10:45 1st nap
2:30-3:30 2nd nap
7-7:30 bedtime

We have tried everything.  A later bed time, an earlier bed time, etc.  No matter how late or early she goes to bed, she always wakes at the same time.  Her internal alarm clock is pretty consistent. 
We are coming up on the time change and we are TERRIFIED.  It's hard to believe that her wake time could be even earlier than 5.  I'd like to attempt to get this under control before then with any advice from you all.

Thank you!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 16 Month Old Early Waking
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 17:32:07 pm »
Hi hun,

I would expect this is because the first nap is really too early. Has she always been high sleep needs dyt? A good indication would be when she went to 2 naps from 3.

My DD at 16mo was on one nap for about 6mths prior to this age, do it does show there a good range of what's considered normal at this age.

It does look like your second nap is an UT one too, only being one hour.

I would push that first nap out quite considerable actually and cap it. Perhaps look at a 20mins nap from 10.15am? Then hopefully she should go down and sleep longer for the second nap. This does take some trial and error to see what. A time works best to get a decent second nap, but it think this is a good starting point. Wdyt? Xx

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)