Author Topic: 10mo pu/pd  (Read 950 times)

Offline Jmpratt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 25, 2015, 00:39:32 am »
Ladies!  I really appreciate these posts.  Any suggestions for me with a 10 month old who is in the stage right before being soothed without pu/pd?  I haven't been able to soothe her with just my hand.  I do PU/PD and then end up holding her after 15-20 min (used to be 40) and letting her do the last part on me.  Little rocking, just holding and swaying.  But I know she has come to expect this. 

She's done it all herself about 5 times over past 4 months that Ive been doing BW/no cry method.  Hasn't done it in about 2 months though. 

I want to use the gradual withdrawl but don't know how to transition to patting with my hand/arms, etc to help her to sleep. 

thanks!

Julie

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 10mo pu/pd
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:28:27 am »
Hi Julie, I've split your post off to a new one, I hope you don't mind.  :)

Would you mind posting your routine for me? Tbh, pu/pd won't work with a 10mo, we tend to just pd, and that's if the routine is good.

I'll post some link for you to have a read through, if you could let me know your thoughts ans routine we'll make a plan xx

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 22:42:51 pm »
Kelly,  thanks so much! Don't mind at all.  Appreciate the support!

Bec has been helping me with updating our nap schedule.   It's been almost 2 weeks since starting.

7-715 wu nurse
A 715-11 4 hrs
S 11-1245 1 hr  45 min nap
A 1245-345 3 hr
S 345-445 1 hr nap
A 445-730
Bt between 7-8 depending if naps were long enough or too long

I'll go read posts!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 15:45:28 pm »
Routine looks great hun.  :)

Ok, so we need to think about gradual withdrawal for you really now we know the routine is good. It is just a case of reducing the time she spends in your arms. It will take patience. With DD (she used to like my hand on her to help fall asleep in the early days), I just reduced the time and the pressure little by little over the weeks until it was a case of resting my hand on her very briefly as I said good night.

Do use your words hun, they're capable of understanding so much. I'll find the gradual withdrawal link for you which should be helpful, just ignore the bit about wi/wo xx

Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 15:47:17 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 00:03:04 am »
Kelly,

First I have to say thank you.  I just put her to bed and feel like crying bc it was so hard and did not go well tonight.  Then I see you responded and have given me necessary information about why it might not have gone well.

I started last night but made a drastic change of not picking her up at all and soothing her in the crib.  Someone else (or maybe you I can't remember) instructed me on that.  She was very distressed and finally calmed down when I cradled her while standing, falling asleep on my arm, while I said a phrase and rubbed her back.  I tried it again tonight but she was not having it, maybe OT or just fighting the drastic change. 

I read over the post.  Here are my questions:

1.  LO has been a good sleeper in the past and put herself to sleep before although not often, one time when I walked out.  She definitely got off track bc of teething and a cold.  Do you think wi/wo would be better?  I wonder if my being there confuses her or keeps her expecting me to help....or is it not appropriate for spirited 10 month old?

2. What would the first change to a LO who has been held/swayed to sleep?  She definitely noticed last night bc it was so drastic but I'm not sure how else to start withdrawing so it's not pu/pd again. 

Thank you again, it means so much to me and my LO,

Julie

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 01:01:07 am »
One more thing, does the GW work for. NWs too?  LO has been waking up once at 12pm.  We got into habit of giving a bottle back to sleep.  She sttn last week 3 nights in a row but then started waking up once again.  I'm not fooling myself to think the inconsistency might not affect our process.  She became very distressed when I tried to use the same way of soothing that she finally fell asleep with that night at BT.   

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 14:41:31 pm »
Above all I would be as consistent as you can be hun. Remember, you've taught her that the way to fall asleep is with you and you are moving the goal posts on her. That's not saying you've done anything wrong whatsoever hun, it's just looking at it from her perspective ok?

I like the gradual approach because it's slowly letting them know what's expected of them.

Unfortunately I don't think wi/wo would be right for her because except for a few occasions, she generally isn't an IS. That will work much later on down the line once we crack this first bit ok? So keep that one on the back burner  ;)

I would start by literally holding her for less and less time over a period of at least a couple of weeks. Concentrate on putting her down drowsy but not fully asleep this coming week. Then if she wakes up and starts getting upset, I would then try and soothe her in the crib. Hopefully by then she's started to think about falling asleep and it won't take as much time as it did for you last night. Does that make sense? For the NW's I would try and first soothe in the crib, then if it escalates do what you do before and hold her, perhaps start reducing the rocking a little and rinse and repeat what I said above. What do you think? Do you think this is doable? Remember there will be some crying as you're changing up what she's come to expect and that's her way of protesting a little and telling mummy she's doing it all wrong  ;). Hopefully with the gentle approach she won't protest too much, but you are there and this is in no way mean or are you a bad mummy for hearing her cry. You are there and soothing her, just a slightly but different than before xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 23:41:43 pm »
Kelly!

Thank you for the gentle reminders about consistency and that lo's cries are telling me she is not happy.  I've read this before and it has helped me up until a month (more actually)of her still telling me I had it all wrong and it wasn't getting any easier for her.  Ultimate goal is to help her build the skills to go to sleep right? and I hadn't done that yet.  I am confident with this advice I'll be able to though! 

I rocked her tonight for only 5 min and put her down right after she closed her eyes.  She cried for a second in the crib but I rubbed her back and she was off to dreamland!!!

Such a relief tome and her, I hope it only gets easier from here.  She has shown a patter of doing well with a new method for the first time but then resisting it after that like, wait a minute now I know what your up to.  But this way might be subtle enough for her to not notice!! 

Thanks for the tips on nw too!  I will be trying it tonight.  This stuff is hard but so much easier with a support group of women who are offering help.  can't say how much I appreciate this forum. 

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:12 am »
Me again.  LO has been up 3 times and it's only 4am so I'm guessing she'll be up once more as opposed to none or one WU. I intervened more than I normally do last night bc I decided to skip the part where I put her down initially in her crib, sit next to crib, and wait til she cries for me it start pu/pd or more recently, soothing her in the crib wo pu.  I just held her as she shifted back and forth on me and put her in as soon as her eyes closed.

Would you recommend doing out normal routine without pu/pd?  Or are things just gonna get worse before getting better?  She CAN sttn she I do pu/pd and she protests lots probably bc she knows I'll be pd when she wakes up again.  But it's such a struggle and she isn't learning how to self soothe all the way to sleep initially that way. 

Or I might try to Pd earlier tonight.  If she did fine with things last night when I put her in when her eyes closed, would it be ok to move it earlier on the second night?

Thanks for the hand holding.  I'm painfully aware of my neediness right now. 

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 07:10:21 am »
Hey hun, how are you doing now? I want you to know I'm here for you ok? I can jump onto your other thread if needs be? Xx
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:12:50 am by Kellyjs »