Author Topic: Re: 5 month old short naps  (Read 894 times)

Offline RehbergBeans

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:36:09 am »
Hi there! Sorry to jump in and hack your post but I have a question if you don't mind 😊 I'm having the same issue w my LO not napping more than 30-40 minutes. She starts giving sleep cues like an hour and 15 min into A time.  I know for her age (also 5.5 months), she should be up around 2 hrs at a time.  Do I just ignore her sleep cues and try to stretch A time by 15 min every few days? I was trying to stay on top of cues to avoid gettin her overtired!! Thank you!!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 5 month old short naps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:38:25 am »
Hi, I hope you don't mind, I've spilt off your post into a new topic  :)

Would you mind posting your routine for me to take a peek at? Tbh the average A time for a 5.5mo is closer to 2.5hrs rather than 2, but I'll wait to see your routine and we'll make a plan ok?

Sometimes around this age sleep cues can become unreliable so we need to have one eye on the clock. IME UT caused us more issues than OT but that only came apparent with time, short naps drove me crazy too  ;) xx

Offline RehbergBeans

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:06:21 am »
I don't mind at all! I actually started another post and got some help there! I definitely think it was her A time. The past two days I've stretched her to 2 hrs A time and she's going down MUCH easier and her first nap on both days was about 90 minutes!!

2nd naps have been 30-40 but I've gone in and tried to shush pat back to sleep. It hasn't really been working! She keeps fussing and rolling to her side to get comfy. She settles, and I think it's working and then she starts crying again. But still really sleepy. What's up with that?

Today our sched was:

Wake: 7am
E: 7am
A: 7:30am
S: 8:50am
Y
E: 10:08am
A: 10:25am
S: 12:57pm - very short nap!! Tried to shush pat in between
Y
E: 1:45pm
A: 2:05pm
S: 3:51pm
Y
E: 4:34pm
A: 4:55pm
S: 7:15pm
Y

I know she s/b on a 4 hr sched at this age but I was nursing every 3 hrs and I didn't want to throw too many changes at her at once!

Also I'm not sure what I should do when she wakes early and won't go back down.... Do I feed her, bc I'm supposed to feed when she wakes, OR, do I wait until scheduled feeding time?

Will I start to see longer 2nd naps once she's on a more consistent schedule? Thank you for your help! Getting this all figured out will make life so much easier and less crazy!! 😊

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 5 month old short naps
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 14:15:26 pm »
I would keep the 3hr feeding time hun. Many ebf bubbas can't handle 4hrs between feeds.

It could be that second A just needs a tiny push to get it there. Especially as the first nap seems to be good now. I would think maybe an extra 10mins for that second. A and see if that helps. It does look close considering she's thinking about going back to sleep.

Wrt the feeding on waking.. Is that from naps? If you, I would feed when it's due. Sometimes easy can become EAEASY which silly short naps, that's totally fine too xx