Author Topic: 3 or 4 hourly feeds  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 27, 2015, 14:43:38 pm »
Just after some advice. My little girl is 8 weeks old and will take around 5-6 oz of first stage formula 4 hourly. In the evening she will bring her feed to 3 hourly and I give her this after her bath in the bedroom with lights out etc. She will settle after this til around 1-2 in the morning, then feed again around 5-6 am.
My concern is she feeds like she's never been fed before, guzzles and chokes and is terribly windy. I use mam colic bottles as she prefers their teats to the Dr Brown's.
I decided today to try and feed her 3 hourly during the day to see if this helps. I have only done one feed so far and she did feed easier. My concern is that sometimes if she isn't awake and wanting her feed she isn't interested.
Anyone's experiences would be greatly appreciated. I hate seeing her coughing and spluttering and looking like I starve her!!
She us a generally hungry baby and is just over 11lbs but following her centile beautifully. She can drink 7oz on occasions. But will bring some back.
Would just like feed tines to be less stressful for both of us  ???
Thanks in advance x

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:29:55 am »
Anyone??  :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 3 or 4 hourly feeds
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 13:32:15 pm »
Welcome to the forums.  ;D We are all mums like you and are all over the world in different time zones, we try to get to posts as soon as we can, so bear with us, we will get to you ;) :D

I would try and keep to 3 hour feeds to be honest, if you follow the 3 hour EASY pattern it should help to regulate her eat/ sleep times. This link will help you to see some examples of routines others have been on chronological EASY samples, 0-3 months

The other thing to try is a different sized teat, hers could be too slow or too fast for her.

What's her eat/sleep routine like at the moment?

Laura

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:30:24 am »
Hi Laura thanks for the reply.
She tends to go 4 hourly with a bedtime feed around 7-9pm then will sleep until 1-3, then sleep until 5-7.
I worry that if she's too tired she won't feed well and it will upset her too much??
I had considered a dream feed but again was hesitant for the same reason.
She had her first jabs this week and we have had a long road trip to visit family so I may wait until next week to try a new routine.
Any advice on where to begin would be greatly appreciated  :D
Thanks again

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 3 or 4 hourly feeds
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 17:07:08 pm »
She tends to go 4 hourly with a bedtime feed around 7-9pm then will sleep until 1-3, then sleep until 5-7.
I worry that if she's too tired she won't feed well and it will upset her too much??
I had considered a dream feed but again was hesitant for the same reason.

It's true they sometimes don't feed well if too tired, but that's not an issue with the DF really as you are feeding them asleep and some will take a good feed then.

I would wait until you are home to start a new routine, when you get back follow her cues for a couple of days and make a note of what she does and how she is and you can tweak things from there. Have a look at the link and see if one of the patterns fits what she does.

I would post on the EASY board when you are ready to start and you will get more help with the routine there.

Laura