Author Topic: 9 month old paci to sleep  (Read 802 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
9 month old paci to sleep
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:59:56 am »
Hi, I think I have a feeling it's time to get rid of paci.
I was posting here before, but didn't have strenght to wean it. Now, It's ruling our lifes!!!!
We use paci only to sleep, in the crib.
He can replug. He throws it out of the crib to make me come to him and pick him up or take him out of the crib. Even when he is sleepy.
He wakes up 2-3 time at night and falls asleep right after I replug his paci and put him down. This is when he cannot find him.
Does this sound like paci weaning time?
If so, do I start with a morning nap and just go cold turkey?
I hope you have some experience and advice for me:(

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 20:27:07 pm »
There are two ways of going forward:
1/ get rid of paci at all and probably I would go for it personally as below 12mo it's still a go
- if you go for it you firstly let go paci during day - any occasions
- than you go cold turkey both on nights and naps
2/ help him with repluging
- I heard of a game where you play with LO in a high chair let's say - you have a pot full of pacis and you teach LO how to put the dummy out of the pot; when he takes it out and put it in his mouth, you take it out with a "uuuops" face and put it in the pot so he can take it once again; after LO understanding the rules of the game you put 1-2 pots (probably soft and somehow attached to cot) in his crib and when LO is lying in his bed you encourage him to take paci from a pot; if he stands and throws away paci, you take them from the crib and from the floor, put them IN the pot, encourage LO to lay down and than say "take your paci"; if LO is standing with paci in his mouth you take it out and once again put on the pot, encourage him to lay down, and once again tell him "take your paci".
~Marta

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 9 month old paci to sleep
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:11:14 am »
Thanks Marta!
I think this is what I need, teach him that paci is for sleep, not standing and playing around in his cot.
This is what i will start with:)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:03 am »
Keeping fingers crossed! Remember to put paci in the pot, telling him to take the paci only when he lies and taking paci out of his mouth when he stands only to fill the pot with pacis. So he knows when standing, there is no paci; when lying and trying to go to sleep, encourage him by voice to take the paci by himself.
In my opinion these are triggers for success with a baby who is playing with a dummy:)!
~Marta