Author Topic: Losing my mind-- 33mo FOUR HOUR NW  (Read 2065 times)

Offline afranklin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Losing my mind-- 33mo FOUR HOUR NW
« on: October 30, 2015, 17:54:30 pm »
Hi Friends,
My DS is 33months old, usually textbook/angel.

My DH went out of town for two nights for the first time in my LO's little life where he was aware of such things. For night two he had some trouble going to sleep, and had a night waking. My DH was actually home (after bedtime) so he went in to comfort him and then promptly left. LO cried, so DH did WI/WO.  But each time DH tried to leave the room LO pitched a fit, so after an hour or so, my husband got into bed with him. We have never done this before. Never.

It's getting to be a blur, but subsequent nights went something like this: The next night was 2 hours of WI/WO, with him finally settling after reassurance that DH was right outside the door. I thought two hours of WI/WO seems excessive, so I'll try the more 'gradual withdrawal' approach. Since assuring him that we are near-- either in the room or outside the door worked a few times (at the end of two hours) I decided to *start* with that last night. I literally stood by his door inside his room for two hours. I thought it's better than petting him to sleep, and it's better than the intense crying of WI/WO the nights before. We thought he had some separation anxiety, and needed to rebuild trust.

Well, it didn't work. I *think* that I was distracting him. I *think* he was waking up after 20m naps and calling for me just to see if I was still there. Since I was exhausted and NOT OK emotionally, I tried more WI/WO and some sitting on my bed crying with him screaming and me not knowing what the f to do. Anyway, 4 hours later, he settled after I forced him to lie down. He said, 'Stay here!' I said, 'Nope, I'm going to bed.' He said, 'You'll be right through the wall.' I assured him that I was right there, I could hear him, etc. ALL THINGS I'D SAID BEFORE. And he settled right down, I walked out. This is at 3:30am.

This is totally shocking us, it's never ever been like this before. We've had a year plus of good consistent self-soothing sleep, generally no NW, and getting back on track after illness or travel has always been successful with WI/WO.

I guess it's my fault for being inconsistent and doing things never done before, like stay in the room. I just lost faith in WI/WO, and it just didn't seem to be working. And I've always given him a little pet when doing WI/WO, and if he's frantic enough, take him out, hold him and sing to him, and then boom, he's ready to settle and I can walk out. (LO seems to get stuck in these emotional jags and he simply CAN't settle down without help.) I know not to talk to LO during WI/WO, and I talk as little as possible, except to say the phrase, "It's time to sleep."

Anyway, I feel like I've done everything wrong this week, and I'm perpetuating this somehow and it's my fault. I understand that a few nights of 'trying different things' does not constitute giving any method a good go, and I'm utterly frustrated by this yet I don't know what else to do.  Last night I was so upset because the only alternative I could see was CIO, and I really don't want to do that.

My gut is telling me that this is a habit now, and a game. He's now got 'permission' to cry out to us any time he wants because we have assured him that we will come. Something I've said, in an effort to reassure him, has made this a way to manipulate us in his mind. He is stubborn as heck, and extremely OT of course, so this has become a battle of wills-- like a game of chicken. Who can stay awake the longest? (not literally these thoughts in him, I know, but this is my sense)

I need a plan! Please help!

Idea 1)
Review WI/WO 'rules,' and do it very consistently, even if it takes all night for a week? Will WI/WO really work, this time?? It's never been this hard before.
Is comforting a falling apart LO by holding them briefly ok at times? (Or is that just worse because it's inconsistent) This has worked fine for me in the past and did not create a habit. It got him out of his jag and helped him sleep.

Idea 2)
Since this seems to be a habit and a game now, can I try time-in? I've done it before around this issue while traveling, when he would not stay in his bed and it worked. We are doing 1-2-3 Magic, so I was thinking of preparing him for this and saying that if he calls out (or cries) he will get time out (we call it that to him). Except-- I REALLY don't want to send the message that crying is bad... maybe I could say, "If I have to come in here, you will get time out." ?? Do I do it for frivolous call outs, or wait for desperate crying?  Also, you would think that immobilizing him while sitting on the floor with him might be something he wants (my arms around him), but usually he doesn't like it. If he does, I could turn on the floor fan to blow on us which might make it slightly uncomfortable for him...?

Idea 3)
No more talking, no more pleading, no more verbal assurance, no more conversation? Except the chosen phrase, 'It's time to sleep'?

Any more ideas? Please please please help me.
Thank you.
Amanda

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Losing my mind-- 33mo FOUR HOUR NW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 18:02:35 pm »
Hi there, i couldn't read and run as I can hear the desperation in your post but FWIW in situations like that I personally would be probably sleeping in the floor in his room (last resort admittedly) or giving as much comfort as I could. If it is 'just' a week and he is generally in very good sleeper it will not harm anything, In fact, IMHO it will only build your relationship with him as he clearly need you right now.

I will say through that I have no experience of WI/WO - we have also been more of the GW approach - so you may get some responses that can help you with that side of things  :)

HTH give you some reassurance that it is OK to be with him and comfort him, it won't mean that he will NW forever more xx

Offline afranklin

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 18:06:16 pm »
Thank you so much for your support Buntybear!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 18:54:16 pm »
No worries - it is just MHO but at nearly 3 it is less about training and more about their emotional needs YK. They KNOW how to sleep - especially your LO. Sometimes they just need those extra cuddles and support through their tough times. xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 20:14:53 pm »
Is he still napping? Just wondering if that may be at play along with separation anxiety. Also one who has mostly used gw and not wi/wo.
Heidi

Offline afranklin

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 23:26:31 pm »
Hi,
He is napping, but it's never seemed a problem before. My current EASY is
7:30 W
1:15 in bed (1:30S)
3:15 w
7:30 in bed (8S usually)

But I have been thinking about waking him at 3, I know that's a longer than ave nap for nearly 3. I have been wondering about this being UT, though how that's possible on 8 hour nights I can't imagine!
Amanda

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 00:24:38 am »
He may have started out somewhat undertired though and is ony now ot. Personally I would want to try capping the nap a bit in addition to using either gw or wi/wo to see if it is partially separation anxiety and partly just the need for a routine tweak. Not sure if 15 min will do the trick completely but worth a shot for a few days and then perhaps cap more.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 10:12:22 am »
Ah, a 2 hour nap could certainly be affecting night sleep. Alot of LOs are on their way to dropping the nap by 3. I would cap that nap and it should help with waking at night. X

Offline afranklin

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 04:47:40 am »
Hi ya'll,
An update and victory lap, if it's not too soon to say. On Friday his nap was 1hr 15m, him waking on his own. (Which still could be OT EW, I think, since the night before was the worst ever).

We had a good 'talk' with him throughout the day, and offered lots of love and reassurance, as well as 'if you don't try to sleep quietly, you will have time out.' And last night, what a miracle. He went down without the hour long ordeal, and he woke up twice in the night, but resettled quickly. I did one brief time out. He didn't protest at all, just sat there.  And that was it. A HUGE improvement-- he got about 11.5 hours last night!

Today we capped his nap at about 1.5 and he was yawning by bedtime. He settled right away, then cried out thirty minutes later (not sure if he was asleep already or not before that, usually not), he would not lie down again so I did a time out (sitting on the floor with him, no talking, no rocking) and he's down.

Fingers crossed for tonight!

I am going to try capping the nap at 1.5 for a while and see how it goes.

Thank you all.
Amanda

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 05:47:02 am »
Yay, great update! Hope the capped nap does the trick for a good long while for you.
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 22:31:47 pm »
That is great news!! ;D