Author Topic: 9month old hating BT stories now?!  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
9month old hating BT stories now?!
« on: October 30, 2015, 19:13:24 pm »
Hi all,
I wonder if this happened to you.
I am reading BT stories with pictures to DS since he is 2 months. He used to love them. Talked to books, smiled at me when I was reading.

For about 2 weeks I have not read 1 story till the end. He gets so frustrated, starts crying and nervously changing pages of the book. To be honest I no longer read anything but rather tell him about pictures.

Is it a phase? Can I do something?
I know some kids just don't like books, but this is recent:/

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 9month old hating BT stories now?!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 19:24:56 pm »
Sounds normal to me, ESP since your DS is still just 9mos

I'd do what you're doing and go with what your DS seems to like at the moment (eg talking about pictures).

You could also try some different books - my DD1 loved a book of nursery rhymes at this age where I sang the rhyme on each page.

It might be too stimulating for BT, but do you have any lift-the-flap books? Or touch and feel?

Or if your DS prefers books where you talk about the pictures but not a story, there are some lovely "word" books available or other picture books with detailed illustrations that you can talk about.

We have a nice BT one where the animal on each page (that you're saying good night to) is soft to touch.

If your lo just isn't wanting to be read to at BT at the moment though, I wouldn't worry, there are plenty of other times in the day when you can read.

If you're doing it right before bed, perhaps bring it a little earlier and do a book before bath time? Your DS might be less tired and more appreciative of it then.

Basically, I guess I'm just saying don't worry and just keep trying different things at different times and see what your DS likes.  Maybe he's just not in a book phase at the moment and is preferring to work on other things.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 19:27:19 pm by cath~ »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 20:12:27 pm »
If your lo just isn't wanting to be read to at BT at the moment though, I wouldn't worry, there are plenty of other times in the day when you can read.
This.
Not wanting a BT story is not an indication that your Lo doesn’t like books.  My DS has been an avid 'reader' since he was probably a couple of months old, he would be very demanding of having books read to him at every opportunity, started to turn the pages himself very early on etc and learned to read rapidly but there is NO WAY he would have entertained the idea of a BT book.
We did morning books instead mostly. When he woke in his cot he would find a book to look at on his own (give me time to rouse myself with all those EW!!) for 10-20 mins then we'd go downstairs, get him milk and I'd read to him during/after milk.
At about 1yo ish he started getting a bath time book, Daddy read a book which DS played in the water, DS loved this story time.
When he started on the potty at 10 months he'd look at books, turn the pages or ask for me to read to him...some times 15 books in one sitting!!
And we have also had a long time of reading before the bath too. So basically any time of day.

Only since just over 4.5 yo has he wanted a book at BT, actually in his bedroom, he reads a page I read a page and we do a chapter of whatever he has from the library.  This is still very new to us. For those 4.5 yrs we entered a dark bedroom had a song and straight into bed for sleep.
Really don't worry about your LO not enjoying the BT story, just move it to another time.  It isn't a parenting rule to have BT stories, we have done very well without :)  sounds like your LO just wants to get to sleep.

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 15:33:25 pm »
I try to read to him whenever theres an opportunity, but he is just not that into it. Can't count the number f baby books he destroyed :)
It might be too stimulating for BT, but do you have any lift-the-flap books? Or touch and feel?
No, and I will deffinitely look for those!! That's a great idea. Thanks! :)

Yes, maybe it's too early for him to listen to BT story. I'll try something else, like a song together or pictures.

To be honest he is not into toys or books. He loves to mess around with grown up toys - spatulas, remotes and other;] I have my hands full with explaining boundries lately:)

Thank you ladies!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:39:29 am »
Grown up 'toys' are wonderful!  If you introduce him to household items that are safe to fill his need to explore he will more readily respond when there is an item he may not touch (because then not everything is out of bounds) so whilst I wouldn't let mine even touch the TV/CD/DVD players I would set up a space with a blanket on the floor in the kitchen and hand him an item or two from the cupboard to explore whilst I cooked or washed up - wooden spoon, sieve, balloon whisk, measuring spoons, wooden lemon juicer, plastic tubs...

WRT pictures.  Mine utterly loved picture flash cards, we did not 'flash' them but rather used them as a sort of loose leaf book, to look at pictures. I also had a few sets which my mum had punched a hole in the corner and used a metal ring to join together and he couldn't get enough of those.  Those fabric books or bath-book (plastic) books are great for young ones too, less chance of them being pulled apart.