Author Topic: Is my 11.5 mo ready to transition to 1 nap?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline clcurtis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is my 11.5 mo ready to transition to 1 nap?
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:57:44 am »
I'm looking for a bit of advice.  My Lo is 11 1/2 mo and up until he was 7 mo he was the perfect sleeper.  From then I've had trouble putting him down in the evening where he just screams and screams even when trying to console him. About a month ago he was diagnosed with reflux and been put on gaviscon which seems to have really helped matters. Whereas he would have been up all evening screaming we now only struggle with him going off to sleep.  Sometimes he goes down fine and other times I resort to holding him in my arms until he drops off.

In the past few weeks I sometimes struggle to get him down for his afternoon nap too.  Usually if we've been out and if we are slightly late getting home (he only naps in his cot!), but not always.  Those evenings he goes straight to sleep and sleeps through the night without a peep.

His EASY routine when he has an afternoon nap is as follows:

7am Wake, BF
8am Breakfast
9:50am Sleep
11:10am Wake, BF
12:10pm Lunch
2:10pm Sleep
2:50pm Wake, BF
4:30pm Dinner
5:45pm Bath
6:10pm BF
7pm Sleep

If he doesn't have an afternoon nap the routine stays the same except no sleep at 2:10pm. His morning naps don't always last 1hr 20 as above, they can sometimes just be 1hr and then that's all he has all day.  If I do have to hold him to sleep it can take between 20 and 45 mins.

My question is, do you think he's ready to move from 2 to 1 nap during the day? Or is he going down so easily in the evenings without an afternoon nap because he's so exhausted!  When he's only had that hour in the morning he grizzles all through dinner and we sometimes have to wrap it up early as he's too upset to eat.  I'm just thinking if he had a longer lunchtime nap he'd feel much better but I'm worried it's too early to move him on.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Is my 11.5 mo ready to transition to 1 nap?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 20:00:18 pm »
He might be ready but if you think he is, I'd go slowly.  I would suggest you push the A time a bit, perhaps even to just 3 hrs 15 mins and see how/if that helps.  Cap the naps at an hour, or choose one nap as the long one and a 30/45 minute cn for the second and just take your time.  I know Tracy suggests it can be done in a week and a half but I really went slowly to make sure I wasn't asking too much of my LO.  It took us a solid month. 

Offline clcurtis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 21:19:18 pm »
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll try extending the A time to 3hrs 15 mins as you've suggested and cap the naps at an hour. After a week or so I shall reasses. I don't want to rush into one nap a day too quickly so this sounds like a good plan. Thank you for replying  :)

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 22:45:39 pm »
I love your avatar!

Laura's given you great advice. I just wanted to add that early bedtime can really help when he only has one nap.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014