Author Topic: WU Times all over the place!  (Read 881 times)

Offline jhs4ess

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:45:01 am »
Hi, I've previously posted about PUPD and naps and have sucessfully managed to get my son to nap in his cot twice a day and to sleep for longer than 20 mins! The problem we need to resolve now is that his wake up times are all over the place! In the last week he's probably woken at 5:15, 5:45, 6:15, 6:30 and 7! Yesterday he woke at 5:30 but he took his dummy and went back to sleep until 7. This morning he woke at 5:15 and i've been unable to get him back to sleep! He has just turned 6 months and has an A time of around 2.5 hours. If he does wake up early I have been trying to keep him going as long as possible until his next nap but not sure if that is the correct thing to do?

Thanks

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: WU Times all over the place!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 15:30:38 pm »
Hi there! Could you post a typical day? If a dummy helps him go back out, can you put several in his bed for him to find or maybe one of those lovey type things with a dummy attached could help?
Staying consistent is good. What is he like when he wakes up ( mad, hysterical, happy?) With my son I had a "We just don't nap any earlier than 9:00" rule as he was inconsistent as well and I didn't want the day getting pushed so early and ending up with a 5:30 BT or something! How are you trying to get him back to sleep?  Anything up with teeth? Hang in there, EW is not fun!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline jhs4ess

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 16:10:08 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Yesterday was a pretty good day. He can still be a little bit hit and miss with napping (but much improved!) and it looked like this:

WU 7:00
E 8:00 (He's never interested in his bottle first thing, he still has one night feed and polishes off 7-8oz)
S 9:25 - 10:00
E 11:00
S 12:30 - 14:10
E 14:30
S 17:00 - 17:25 (had been trying to get him down from 16:30)
E 17:30 (Solids)
E 17:45 (Milk)
E 18:45 (Milk)
BT 19:00

Today has been another story! This is it so far:

WU 5:15 Got him up at 6:30

E 7:30
S 8:10 - 8:35 Kept him up as long as I could but then he short napped! Is this because he was OT?
E 11:00
S 11:20 - 13:00
E 14:00
S 15:20 - 16:00

I would imagine we will struggle to keep him going to a 7pm bedtime but will try!

He hasn't quite got the hang of putting his dummy in himself yet. He s very good at settling without it during the night but if he wakes around 5 he always needs it. We will usually just nip in, pop it back in and leave straight away. I'll do this a couple of times and then go in and put my hand on his chest and shush. He always looks like he is trying to go back to sleep but eventually gets fed up and just chats away or sometimes he gets mad and cries.

We're trying to introduce solids at the moment as well and am finding it difficult because his times are so erratic. I also struggle to get him to go for 4 hours between milks feeds.

We do think he may be teething again and he also has a bit of a cough and cold at the moment, but his wake up times have been mixed for a while before that.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Emilie

Offline nevinsmama

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:21:20 am »
Hi hun, massive apologies for the unforgivable delay in my response. :( :( I am so sorry.

OK. Getting that 1st nap right to set the day up right can be so tricky. I am thinking that 30 minute or so nonsense is OT, but it looks like your LO is compensating nicely with a good mid-day nap. How long since you pushed A times? Wondering if he is closer to the 3-2 transition and that is UT looking like OT? If he won't resettle and go back out, perhaps is worth an A nudge? Is it getting light at that hour? Anyone in the house moving around that could be waking him, if so white noise was a life save with my 2.
All of this said, my DD hardly ever woke at the same time and after nearly making myself crazy over it and just got better at adjusting things to make up for the inconsistent wakings..hope this helps, let me know how it goes and I apologize again for missing your post.

Maryn

[/url]

Offline jhs4ess

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:36:51 am »
Hi, No problem, I didn't chase it up because he's been full of a cold for the last 3 weeks so I didn't really want to try anything with him.

He's gotten worse but I'm not sure if its because he is so congested. The last 3 days he's woken up at 3:30,5:00 and 4:30. I've managed to get him back to sleep for a little while but only by holding him while he slept :-( I haven't been keeping a proper note of his times but will start again today to give you a better idea of what is going on. Hopefully his cold will finally go soon!

Not sure about the 3-2 transition, he seems to really struggle to even make it the 2.5 hours to his cat nap sometimes. We always aim for a 7pm bedtime but often end up at 6:30 or even 6 occasionally.

It isn't getting light but my DH does get up for work at 5:30. We use a white noise app all night and I do shut his bedroom door before DH gets up too but he can probably still hear him.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:39:23 am by jhs4ess »

Offline nevinsmama

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 02:23:32 am »
It is so hard when they are not feeling well and when they aren't you just do what you need to do to get through, lots of cuddles for sure! Hope he feels better soon! Keep a log of what is the latest and keep us posted. Here is some info on 3-2 if you think you may be in the very beginning phases of that. All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Maryn

[/url]