Author Topic: Give me hope!  (Read 1176 times)

Offline KatieNoel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 23, 2015, 19:08:21 pm »
Last night was my first night implementing PU/PD with my 4 month old son. He had been previously sleeping in a swing all night due to reflux. We now have it under control and I want him in his own crib. He did well until 3:30am, at that point I did PU/PD for 2 hours without success. He'd drift off then snap awake crying again. At 5:30 I let him sleep on my chest for an hour before getting up to start the day. Did I ruin everything by letting him sleep on me? Will this get easier for both him and I? I know it's only been one night but I'm already exhausted. :(

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Give me hope!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 19:53:49 pm »
Hi and welcome!  :)

I hope we can help hun. Firstly I'd stop with the pu/pd. it really isn't recommended for reflux bubbas as it can aggravate it for them. I would recommend ssh/pat. Pu/pd didn't work too well for my slightly spirited DD either  ::)

Would you mind posting what a typical day looks like for us to take a look at? Has he ever been an independent sleeper? Is he on meds for his reflux? Sorry for all the questions it really helps to get a full picture so we can make a plan ok? Look forward to hearing from you xx

Shush-pat - How to

Offline KatieNoel

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 21:35:32 pm »
Thank you! He's on a 3 hour easy and in the process of transitioning to a 4 hour. On Day 2 of Tracy's plan outlined in the book. Our days look like this:

7:00- E
8:30- S (short naps, using shh pat to extend with little success so far)
10:00- E
11:30- S
1:00- E
2:30- S
4:00- E
5:00- catnap
BT- 6:30-7:00

I feed him upon first waking between 11:00 and 1:00. I go to sleep when he does so we don't DF. He is on 10mg omeprazole a day. He woke at 3:30 last night and I could NOT settle him. PU/PD did seem to aggravate him more. I just hope he's not in pain and needing the swing still. But it's not his usual pain cry. It's frustration. I don't know how to get him back to sleep! And keeping him up half the night seems silly!

Offline KatieNoel

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 21:43:44 pm »
I should also mention he can generally put himself to sleep with minimal assistance. For the past 6 weeks or so he only takes one bottle between 7 and 7. But if I fed him at that second wake up, im sure he'd go back to sleep easier. But he's proven that he's really not hungry then, so I don't want to start another habit there.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 07:27:05 am »
There's an absolutely massive growth spurt at 4mo where many peoples in they have to reintroduce another NF. It's just for a little while. Just make sure he's leaving an least an ounce of two in his bottles during the day so you know he's stopping because he's full and not because it's run out ok? It usually sorts itself out within a month. It is one of the biggest GS.

That being said, the GS also coincided with an awful wonder week (do you follow those?), usually called the 4mo sleep regression. It's a yucky time. Short naps and more awareness.

I would abandon pu/pd and try ssh/pat as I mentioned before. Keep the room dark for the NW and do feed if it's been more than 4hrs since the last feed. It's a case of being consistent during this yucky time I'm afraid. We've all been through it and come out of the other side. For us, it was the 4mo SR and the 18mo SR that was the worst. As you're only on day 2 I would hold these times for another day, use ssh/pat to try and extend the naps if you can and just try not to go too crazy  ;). Let me know how it goes today/tomorrow then we can look at tweaking again. If we're looking to extend A times (which it looks like you're trying already) we like to give them 3 days to settle into it and reassess again. Here to hold your hand xx

Offline KatieNoel

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:47 pm »
We had awesome success last night! No shh pat required! He is genuinely hungry for a second feed because he guzzled both bottles. I fed him, put him back down and left the room and he put
Himself back to sleep. That was his first full night in his crib. So proud! Except mama didn't sleep much because I was so darn excited he was asleep lol. And also fitfully waiting for him to wake up crying, which he never did. Thank you for all your help!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 19:42:40 pm »
Ha ha that does make me laugh as I've done the exact same thing!!

It's hard knowing what to do, but this is a massive GS and feeding an extra time at night won't cause you issues in the long run hun! Great news though and hope it continues! Pop back if or when you need to xx