Author Topic: 7mo old won't sleep alone  (Read 1121 times)

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
7mo old won't sleep alone
« on: November 24, 2015, 02:47:37 am »
So I haven't post anything on here in a very long time but I'm desperate and need some advice. My now 5 yr old was a great sleeper, slept through the night early on in his crib and shh/pat always worked if he needed to be settled. Now I have a 7 month old and he slept in his crib from day 1 and through the night at 4 months until about 6 months and then something changed. He started to become very clingy to me and extremely whiny. He would scream and go into hysterics when I put him in his crib and shh/pat no longer worked. When I actually got him to sleep he would wake every 30-45 minutes, sometimes 10-15 times a night and just wanted to be held. So, for my sanity I gave in and co slept. Now here we are a month later and I want to transition him back into his crib because he is waking every hour and I get no sleep. I started with a nap today in his crib and he lost it the second I layed him down. I don't know what to do. DS1 was soooo much easier.. In all areas. Any advice? Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:11:58 am by MadisonC »

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: 7mo old won't sleep alone
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 23:25:45 pm »
Hey there so sorry this hasn't been responded to yet, I'm afraid I'm too bleary eyed right now but will give you a bump and if no one else comes in then I will tomorrow...sorry again :-*

Offline trimbler

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 20:42:45 pm »
Ok I'm back with more time now, so sorry to have taken so long :-[ What do you think about some sort of gradual withdrawal route? I'm sure there was a sticky somewhere but can't quite find what I'm looking for, will chase that up for you and probably also find someone with some btdt ;) In the meantime you could have a read of this, mostly seems more relevant for LOs who are nursing several times a night to get back to sleep, it wasn't clear to me from your post whether that's the case with you? Gentle Removal Plan

Of course there's always PUPD, which would perhaps be more of a last resort but if you have time and support and would rather do that over a couple of weeks than string it out over a couple of months then we could support you with that - again, don't really have btdt myself but would find someone who does ;) Won't work though if there's discomfort going on, which I did wonder about that with so many NWs - teething, perhaps? Or digestive issues? Introducing solids causing discomfort? Wdyt?

And then again there could be routine issues coming into it - would you like to post a recent day so we can have a look for clues? :-*

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 00:45:02 am »
A typical day looks like
 Wake 630
Bottle 7
Solida 9
Nap 930-10
Bottle 11
Solids 1230
Naps 1-130
Bottle 3
Solids 430
Nap 5-530
Bottle 630
Bed 7

Thanks for your help

Offline trimbler

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 22:30:41 pm »
Thanks for posting your routine, was he always a catnapper? If not, when did he stop taking long naps? I can't help thinking he's OT with those short naps and wakeful nights, wdyt? How is he when you're not trying to get him to sleep? Have you taken the 'know your baby' quiz, or do you have a feeling he's touchy or spirited, for example? How is he after the short naps? Refreshed and ready to go or screaming or acting still tired? Do you try to resettle after a short nap? Hoping some of your answers to these, and the discomfort question above, will help us find some clues... ;) Have you had a think about which method of prop weaning you'd be most comfortable with, ie PUPD or gradual withdrawal? We'll walk with you either way :-*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 20:22:07 pm »
Hi, just dropping in to be another set of eyes.

He started to become very clingy to me and extremely whiny. He would scream and go into hysterics when I put him in his crib and shh/pat no longer worked.
Did anything change at this time? Day-care, house, diet, illness, big brother starting day-care, anything?

Those naps are of a length that make me think OT or discomfort. The waking all through the night with no stretch anywhere in the night scream pain to me. OT tends to be waking early in the evening then you get a stretch.

Has he been thoroughly checked over by a doctor? Has anything else (other than sleep) in his behaviour changed? Is he clingy through the day?

When he's having those 30min naps in the day, are you trying to resettle? How is he napping - ie. on you, in cot/swing?

3 x solids is a lot for a baby of 7 months - have you tried reducing/eliminating the solids for a day or two?