Author Topic: Implementing EASY with a toddler around  (Read 1325 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« on: December 03, 2015, 16:08:09 pm »
Hey everyone!

DS2 is 14 weeks now, born 3 weeks premature. I chose not to worry about getting him on a schedule early on - he was a preemie and I'm breastfeeding, so I decided it was better to feed on demand to both get his weight up and establish my milk supply, and for a long time he slept a lot anyway so it wasn't vital to get him on a schedule in order to get him to nap.

But now it does seem like the time. He takes a good morning nap (and honestly would probably sleep for 3 hours or more if I let him) but in the afternoon he gets into a cycle of being sleepy but not falling asleep on his own, falling asleep when I nurse him but waking up as soon as I unlatch. So he ends up eating almost constantly all afternoon, drifting in and out of sleep, but waking up if I set him down.

With the first little one, I had all the time in the world to figure out what worked for him (swaddle, dark room, pacifier) and to get him into a routine, but with a three-year-old, our days are far more chaotic! I can't sit in his room shh-patting for hours until he falls asleep anymore when the older one is wandering alone around the rest of the house.

Any BTDT tips from others?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Implementing EASY with a toddler around
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 22:03:00 pm »
hello - so sorry that your post has got missed. Could you post your EASY routine so we can see if nothing stands out?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Implementing EASY with a toddler around
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:04:55 am »
Hi, sorry you've been missed!

No BTDT from me, unfortunately but I think the general advice at this age is to do whatever naps you have to out and about so LO1 gets their activities, etc. and you can then try for one nap in the crib at home (maybe when LO1 naps or has quiet time or a meal). I'd have LO2 in the crib all night by now too if you can manage it.

I think its sometimes easier to sleep train when you have a solid routine, so maybe try having LO sleep in a carrier or a pram on 1.5hr A times (increasing to 2hr by 4 months) and see how you go.