Author Topic: 4 month old wakes 5-8 times a night..help!!!  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Kbalberts

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old wakes 5-8 times a night..help!!!
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:32:06 am »
My 4 month old exclusively breastfed son has ALWAYS woken between 5-8 times a night to nurse. We just started PU/PD 5 days ago and have been attempting to do EASY for a month or so..I have attempted to just shh/pay him to sleep when he wakes up during a couple of the wakings but he just cries and I end up nursing him to get him back to sleep which I KNOW I shouldn't do. How do I drop a couple of these feedings? He's obviously waking up just for comfort and out of habit for some of them.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 4 month old wakes 5-8 times a night..help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 23:29:54 pm »
Is he an independent sleeper for naps and BT? If not I'd work in that first.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 4 month old wakes 5-8 times a night..help!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:37 am »
5-8times a night! Wow you must be exhausted, you have every sympathy from me. I'm really tired with only 3 NWs

What is his daytime feeding like? I.e. How often & for how long? Do you think he's getting enough in the day? Could be a habit of getting all nutrition at night & not enough in the day?

Maybe it would help to post his daytime EASY routine to see if anything needs tweaking there?

I agree that working on independent sleep will probably be answer (it was for my my DS when he woke frequently at night at 4mo) but need to ensure daytime feed & nap routine is getting enough milk & sleep for a good night.

FWIW PU/PD didn't work for us. I needs to use a gradual withdrawal approach to weaning off feeding to sleep xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD