Author Topic: Using a pacifier for sleep help  (Read 882 times)

Offline Azurose

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 10, 2015, 20:05:34 pm »
I am a first time mother with a 16 week old daughter who uses a pacifier for sleep, not during any other time however. I am worried about it becoming a problem, but I believe she does know how to put herself to sleep.
She woke up early in her Nap a few times and just played until she went back to sleep after around 15-20 minutes. I try not to give it back to her when she wakes up, but on occasion she does want it back.
My family said I should've weaned her from it at 3 months, but they had no problem with crying. I really do want to wean her from it before 5 months though before she becomes too attached. I did give her a stuffed elephant to play with before she sleeps. Should I just go cold turkey now?I taught her how to sleep in her crib, by laying her in it with her pacifier and rubbing her forehead and shushing her and never leaving her the first few days until gradually withdrawing when she figured out to go to sleep there on her own. I suppose I should do it that way too? Will it work? But will she start sucking on her fingers instead if I do?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Using a pacifier for sleep help
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 11:43:07 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

I wouldn't advise going cold turkey with the paci drop, it is against SIDS guidance to suddenly stop using a paci before 6 months.  I believe it to be safe to do a gradual wean though if you really wanted to.

If you want to help her attach to another item (such as the stuffed elephant) you can have it inside your clothes for a while to get your comforting scent, and hold it with/between you every feed and cuddle time rather than just giving at sleep times. As I've already mentioned SIDS guidance I will add that it is not advised to leave any item with a baby under 6 months old.  I allowed my DS to fall to sleep using his muslin (that is his lovey, I highly recommend them, always replaceable, washable and can even go to school in their pocket without causing a problem) but I removed it a few mins into sleep.  When he was old enough I left it with him.  He is almost 5 and still has 3 in his bed each night and one in his school trouser pocket each day (very small one, like a handkerchief. Lovies have amazing powers of comfort and confidence for many children but usually schools do not allow soft toys).

It sounds like you have done really well using the paci as a soothing item but without re-plugging all night or using it all day :)
Your idea to gently wean by staying with her, shushing and rubbing her head sounds like a good one. Initially you can let her do the rapid sucking on it and gently remove it when the sucking has slowed, return it is needed until she falls to sleep without it in her mouth.  It will work, may take a few days and you will need to be patient but she will learn to nod off without the paci.
There's no telling if she will suck her fingers or not. Some LOs do some don't. Mine wouldn't suck anything, not fingers, not paci, that was just how he was.

Offline Azurose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 16:53:42 pm »
Thank you again for the welcome. :) It seems like there are very helpful and insightful people here for sure.

I didn't go cold turkey, I was going to ask my pediatrician his thoughts on it too. I know about the sids protection. But it had really reallllly been stressful for both of us not sleeping. I don't function well without it, today I went to the pediatrician's office early.... Ten days earlier than the appointment I thought I was going to lol

I didn't do anything different than usual today however and I lay her down with it and she spat it out. She then soothed herself to sleep two times already. I am really surprised! I hope that she continues the rest of the day like this as she has had a nice long nap with no seach for her paci to disrupt it. Will she become dependanthe upon it again if I use it again? Should I take it as a sign to not use it anymore or just when she really needs it like if she gets OT?

I see, that makes sense to introduce her elephant more like a friend! One that is associated with me and comfort. Thank you for the advice, I will definitely start taking the toy away after she falls asleep. I'll try the muslin too, she does like just stroking her toy or her wearable blanket too so that may work as well.

Thank you, I know she is comforted by sucking but I wanted her to be comforted by me instead when she was shy or stressed. I felt that was better for us. That is a very good idea for weaning her if I need to at some point. She did suck her fingers some, but she prefers to sleep with her arms straight up so she couldnt the whole time lol Thank you so much for your help!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Using a pacifier for sleep help
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 18:33:24 pm »
It really sounds as though she doesn't much want that paci anyway.  I wouldn't totally deny her it if she wanted it, she is still young after all but neither would I greatly encourage it if she isn't all that bothered.

If she attaches to the elephant I strongly suggest buying one or two more, identical, so that you can wash them and just in case one is lost. Also they will likely need to last several years.  Comfort items are an incredibly strong source of comfort but on the flip side if the lovey is lost it is a great great loss to LO.

Offline Azurose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 17:46:25 pm »
Alright, thank you very much for all the information. ^_^