Author Topic: Feel like I'm constantly feeding!  (Read 2146 times)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Feel like I'm constantly feeding!
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:37:29 am »
So, DS2 is 5 weeks today.

I've worked out that his need to suck is hunger-related most of the time. MW advised to offer both sides and since then he's needed to have the dummy a lot less, and has been generally more settled. Much less issues with wind etc.

He is growing like the clappers, you can see the difference in him from just a week ago. He'll be out of his 0-3 clothes very early if he carries on like this.

I tried cluster feeding a couple of nights ago and last night since he would wake as soon as he went down for the night, and that seemed to help him settle.

But now I feel like I'm constantly feeding! Offering both sides plus feeding for a lot of the evening isexhausting!!

Tell me it gets better?!? And on the cluster feeding note, how often do I switch sides?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Feel like I'm constantly feeding!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:24:55 am »
(((hugs)))

Yep, BTDT and it does get better.  I remember it feeling overwhelming at the time though.

Why not just try and make the most of it for now? E.g. find something you can do (read a book? buy a magazine? listen to a podcast/audio book?) whilst feeding and make the most of all that time you're getting to sit down for a bit ;) ?

on the cluster feeding note, how often do I switch sides?
umm, not sure if there's a "rule".  IIRC I just switched which side I offered first, each time I offered, iyswim.

HTH :-*  You are doing a fab job!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:15:35 am »
Totally normal up to maybe 3 mos but definitely in the first 6 weeks at least. And you're seeing the benefits in his growth, as pp says make it as comfy and pleasant for yourself. One good tip is to combine with something else you need to do. But tbh this will be over so soon so try to enjoy it as a special time.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:31:46 am »
Thanks girls. I am getting frustrated because he only seems to sleep on/with one of us and so I am struggling to do simple things like brush my teeth. There is only so much you can use a sling for, yk?

I am going (when I get a chance) to put together a basket that I can reach easily when feeding with hand cream, a drink etc for me in it. Atm I'm getting very dehydrated.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 11:42:33 am »
A good rule is to always  have a drink of water in place when you sit down. With LO1 I set up a feeding station in the sitting room, so I mostly say in that spot and had water, nibbles, radio within reach.  LO2 was a different ball game with 2yo as well!

He's not even 6 weeks yet, so try not to get too frustrated. He still is a newborn really, but he's going to come out of that phase pretty soon.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 12:39:39 pm »
Lots of hugs, helen. I remember DH and I sat down at 11pm and realised that we hadn't eaten the whole day!  (DS would only sleep on DH).  If you have to put him down for 5 minutes to get a drink, go to wc and brush teeth, he will eventually learn that mommy will be back.  You will be stronger to take care of both of you!  Put you first.  More hugs xx

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 14:25:12 pm »
I think you also are just hitting that first huge growth spurt. I felt like that with DS too not so much with DD. She has never had the huge appetite he had and still has
*Suzanna*

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 17:33:02 pm »
Ah ok, a growth spurt? But it's constant!!

He is awake for long periods also, misses a nap or maybe two between feeds every day. He's a super alert baby who just wants to take it all in. I'm guessing that would take more calories also? I often end up feeding at or just after the two hour mark if he's not slept.

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 17:37:15 pm »
Awww lots of hugs.  I remember this so well.   My midwife told me to just think of baby having normal needs and BF's sometimes for hunger, sometimes for thirst, sometimes for a wee snack and sometimes for soothing.  Just like what we do all day long as adults.  (not the night though lol!)  Hope you can find some time to have a shower or go to toilet  ;).  Lots more understanding hugs.  xo