Author Topic: 17mo clingy at naps and bedtime  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Chv

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 17, 2015, 21:04:05 pm »
Hi wise mummies!
Please can I ask your advice? In the last week my 17 month old has suddenly become really clingy at nap time and bedtime. We've struggled with 30 minute naps for months - he was having 12 hour nights and one nap of a maximum of 60 mins during the day but he was coping ok. We've just been on holiday for a week where he reverted to 2 naps of at least an hour sometimes longer and shorter nights resulting in 5am waking (usual wake time is 6ish).
Having come home we've got him back to one nap but he is really difficult to settle in his cot. Previously went down like a dream after a lullaby, now he clings on to us or cries and stands up when we put him in his cot but is happy to cuddle in to us. Usually cuddling him for a bit longer and getting him really calm means we can put him down but when he wakes after 30/40 minutes (every nap) it is impossible to get him back down (he clings around my neck and without peeling him off which results in him getting really upset I can't put him back down). He is very happy to sleep on me/oh for nearly an hour which is much longer then his pre-holiday naps when he just wouldn't resettle whatever we did. Today I tried to put him down 4 times and then ended up letting him sleep on me.
He is also much harder to settle at bedtime than usual. We've pushed bedtime back due to him having more daytime sleep and this has helped but he needs to be really calm before you put him down or he cries when you leave.
So my question is - is this just a phase? Do we just go with it for now and hope that it passes? I know there is a 18 month sleep regression and also separation anxiety can get troublesome but he is fine with us leaving other than naps.
Really worried about getting in to bad habits having done so well until now!
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 21:06:22 pm by Chv »

Offline Chv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 21:05:27 pm »
He has been teething over the last few months but I don't think they are bothering him too much at the moment and I don't think he's I'll!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 17mo clingy at naps and bedtime
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:47:46 am »
Hi, I'd say your prob in the tricky 18 month SR stage, all developmental stuff plays havoc with them settling.

What's your day look like WU BT etc?
Zoe

Offline Chv

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 17:44:48 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

His routine is:
WU - 5.30/6
S - 12/12.30 - 1.30/2
BT - 6.30 - 7

We suffer from EMW but if we can get a good nap we try to push bedtime back and gradually this gets his wake up back to after 6. Up until recently he was having 30 minutes of daytime sleep but having 12 hour nights. His naps lengthened when the clingyness started. Currently I am sitting with him in my arms for about 15-20 mins for naps and bedtime before I can put him down. When I try before this he clings to my neck.

I'm sure it's a phase that will pass but worried about developing bad habits although I'm not sure there is much I can about it at the moment!

Thanks x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 17mo clingy at naps and bedtime
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
Have you tried pushing the nap say 15 mins later just too see if it makes a difference for a few days?

Routine looks good so I'd guess it's developmental. Maybe try a bit of gradual withdrawal to see if will settle without being cuddled but knowing your there?x
Zoe