Author Topic: Almost 2 yr old, on 0 naps for a while, now odd NWs  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Almost 2 yr old, on 0 naps for a while, now odd NWs
« on: December 21, 2015, 20:48:24 pm »
Hi. It's been a little while since I posted. To give you background DS will be 2 in early Jan. He dropped the nap v early at about 20/21 months (after weeks of messing about and stripping at BT, we finally worked out with this forum's help that he was in the 1-0).

So now EASY is

WU anytime between 6-7, sometimes earlier
BT about 6pm

For the past few weeks he's been NW. It can be once or twice a night usually anytime from about 8.30pm to 5am.  I think the general pattern seems to be if he wakes early eve he is upset and crying - if he wakes after about midnight, he is much more with it and doesnt seem upset and will just sit calling mummy, daddy and asking for cuddles. Sometimes we can ignore him and he will give up and go back to sleep.Others,  he starts getting upset so we have to go in his room. Sometimes just walking in his room is enough to make him lay straight down and go to sleep. Others, he asks for cuddles and we just lean in his cot and hold him for 1 second and then he will go back off.

He woke just now (8.30pm) and was just stumbling around his cot crying and not seeming really awake. He didnt seem to know what he wanted but i got him to lay back down after a few mins.

So the NWs are brief but it is causing us and him broken sleep and I don't really know how to tackle them or what causes them.  Could he still be learning to cope with no naps and just be really OT?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Almost 2 yr old, on 0 naps for a while, now odd NWs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 21:19:46 pm »
Doesn't sound to me like it is anything to do with having dropped the nap if it was 2/3/4 months ago.

It is likely developmental. Very many people here notice sleep disturbance close to the birthday and half birthday and this happens for years.  At this age your LO might be fearing the dark, you could try a little night light.  He might be having a little separation anxiety (which you are responding to which will comfort him, see if you can add some power to his lovey if he has one by adding special mummy/daddy hugs and kisses to it to power it up for over night use). He may be having a language leap.
All you can really do is continue as you with the reassuring, verbal if it works, go in for a quick hug if needed etc, until this passes. It will pass.

If he is tired from the NWs you could give an opportunity for one nap, maybe he will nod off in the car or stroller for a few mins or invite him for a one-off nap, if he says yes then he needs it (I would just do one as you have clearly worked out his routine needs already but this sleep disturbance is similar to handling illness, people whether young or old can need a bit extra sleep through a tricky time and may sleep in the day if very tired).  If nap is a total no-go then you could do a one off EBT at say 5.30pm.
It is not essential to offer a nap or EBT because really if he is tired he can sleep longer in the morning but if you feel OT is building then you might want to try.

hope this helps

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 21:54:15 pm »
Thank you. I guess I am worried that it is turning into a habit and that he's just trying to get us in his room so it's reassuring to hear that others experience this type of thing at this age.  His vocabulary has increased a lot recently.  I've also noticed he can get very destructive at the moment - throwing/breaking things - not sure if that's relevant or if he's doing it because he's tired!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 22:43:34 pm »
Oh yes all of that is linked to the developmental leap (and some of it may be due to extra tiredness but it is also a known part of the disequilibrium through the birthday/half birthday leaps).  The behaviour can be wearing on the patience to say the least.
I wouldn't worry about habit forming around this, the chances are that he will just return to self settling and independent sleep just as soon as this phase passes, it's also already in your mind so you are unlikely to AP but rather you are giving the additional support he needs as he goes through this tricky time.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 22:50:29 pm »
Thanks Creations - so reassuring to know we are not encouraging this or causing a habit. I'll do what you recommend and report back.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 22:53:27 pm »
Good luck, just keep telling yourself they are ALL like this.  You WILL get through.
:)

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 23:17:37 pm »
I will. It's just DD wasn't like this at all - tricky when you have an angel first child and a slightly more challenging second one! !