Author Topic: Pacifier use to calm during pick up/put down??  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Jmarie52

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Pacifier use to calm during pick up/put down??
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 22:10:16 pm »
I'll ne honest. I don't really know how to execute "awake but drowsy." I've tried since she was very young. It just makes her mad and she stretches her legs out and now, rolls over to her back, cries. Which is what led me to PU/PD bc I am very against leaving her alone to CIO.  Im certainly willing to try again. I'm a "what if" person... So what if I encounter that situation as above? How do I proceed?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 22:58:16 pm »
Fair enough. You don't leave her alone, you simply put her down and show her you're still with her. What I did was to put DS down drowsy and calm while I was singing to him so something was constant - still singing. Then once he was lying down I kept my hand on his chest (you would put you hand on her back, I presume) so he knew I was there.

Offline Jmarie52

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 13:52:17 pm »
I'll give it a go again. This brings me back to the original issue I was having: do I allow her to use the pacifier? Just a hand or holding doesn't calm her when she's really upset. She's a touchy baby! So without the paci she will just cry and cry... And eventually give out I'm sure. But is that just part of it? I'm ok with the crying knowing she isn't alone and that it's just out of frustration. If that makes sense. I can add in a song, which I used to do. Not really sure why I ever stopped. I'm really crossing my fingers that once she is able to put herself into the most comfortable position, the stars will align and her sleep will extend! Wishful thinking but a girl can dream! This rolling over business is really killing me!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 19:56:11 pm »
Yeah, this is how  one of many developmental periods that will disrupt sleep. I let DS have a dummy, he needed it and could replug himself around 5 months so it wasnt an issue for us with him waking for it every sleep cycle. I think given its helping her resettle but she can transition from one sleep cycle to the next without it that IIWM I'd keepp it but if you want to wean it you can, might as well do it while you're already doing some sleep training.