Author Topic: Can't fix 18 month old's ew :(  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Sarahkinso

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:43:43 am »
Hi all

We are in a massive rut with early morning wake ups, short naps and early bt. I have tried tweaking his schedule but nothing has been working to help the early wake ups. It has been going on for about 3 weeks now and we have a very cranky, chronically overtired toddler who is having tantrums at the drop of a hat and is constantly tired. I'm not sure what to do anymore, I'm exhausted and we all need our sleep.

He had been having around 11.5/12 hours sleep a night and around 1.5/2 hours day sleep (one nap) since about August time. Now he is having 10.5 hours maximum at night and an hour in the day. If he has less than 6 hours A time first thing he has a long nap (1.5-2 hours) anything more than that results in a short nap (35 mins-1 hour 10 max). But we haven't been able to give him less than 6 hours first A time as he has been waking too early and don't want his nap to be too early. Then it's a long time until bt (we don't do bt before 6 due to only 10.5 hours max night sleep) but again it's a long stretch and he is worse in the afternoon.
So, this is what his day looked like before:

Wu: 5.45/6
Nap: 11.30/12 for 1.5-2 hours
Bt: 7ish depending on what time he woke

Now it looks like this:
Wu: 4.30/5
Nap: 11am for an hour or less
Bt: 6pm (doesn't usually go to sleep until about 6.30 making it 6.5 hours A in the afternoon)

I don't know if this is the 18mo sleep regression or we have got his schedule wrong. He is very sensitive to being ot and always has had sleep issues, we had to sleep train at 6 months but has been great since 10 mo and sttn since then.

He is an independent sleeper and when he wakes we can leave him in the cot and we never get him up until at least 6am.

how do I work on getting him less overtired and back into a good routine? Do I ride it out or make changes? I think we need to shift his day later but not sure how to do it without causing even more overtiredness!  It's really getting me down and we are knackered :(

Thank you so much for any advice you can give. X

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Can't fix 18 month old's ew :(
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 15:02:41 pm »
Hugs, early mornings really are the pits :(. This could be 18m sleep issues or possibly teeth (canines, molars?) but my inclination is to say that you've just got stuck in a too-early cycle.  May be a bit drastic but I would personally take a couple of days max and push right back to 12pm nap, 7pm bedtime.  And then see where you are after a week.  Often pushing hard can be the right way with toddlers to force a change in their body clocks, I'd say with mine that the fear of OT stopped me from pushing when I should have done .  You may even need to go later with bedtime (for a period) until his body and tiredness forces him to sleep in later, or at least resettle at 4.30/5am.  Can you not resettle at nap time? Or maybe try some meds before to rule out discomfort? What about AP to extend a nap?