Author Topic: Late evening waking in 9mth old  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Linkyminx

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 01, 2016, 19:06:31 pm »
Hi everyone,
My son has been on EASY since 7 weeks old, STTN from around 6months.
We dropped the dream feed gradually about a month ago. Since then he continues to wake anywhere from 10pm-11.30pm. I am confident he's not hungry (he eats well and gets 600ml formula). I think it's habitual, but once awake he rolls around in the cot, plays with his comforter etc, but starts crying if I leave the cot side. This can go on for typically two hours. I feel I'm a distraction being there, pupd isn't really needed, but I can't leave or he'll get upset. I tried wake to sleep once but it made no difference...
His routine is 6am wake, nap 9.15-10.45, nap 2-3, BT 6.30pm.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
TIA

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Late evening waking in 9mth old
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 20:43:30 pm »
Yk what? My DD still wakes or shuffles around at 10pm where we dropped her DF and she's 2.5!!  ::)  ;)

I'm glad you haven't reintroduced the DF, well done you for trusting your instincts. How long has he been on this routine for? I'm wondering if a routine tweak might help, but it's difficult as it not in the usual UT or OT NW's time of night.

Is it always a couple of hours? How long did you try the w2s for? It can take anywhere up to a week or more to work properly? I'd probably suggest starting there again. The idea is to do it for 3 days, leave off for one, then repeat if needs be.

I would also wonder if SA is at play too. A DF is usually a time when he gets extra snuggles and he's not getting that anymore at that time. Have you got a chair in his room? Or even sit by his bed? I'm thinking maybe we try a bit of gradual withdrawal coupled with the daytime techniques for SA I'll post in the links below. Wdyt?

(Ignore the bit about wi/wo in the link below) .

Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)
Separation Anxiety

Offline Linkyminx

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 23:24:51 pm »
Hi,
Thanks very much for your advice. He's been on this routine for about a month now, we struggled a lot with 40min naps previously, so I was really pleased when he started napping for 90min, and haven't dared change anything since! Plus A times are about right I think.
We only did W2S the once, and I think you're right to suggest giving this a proper try. The links about SA are interesting, he's not a clingy baby at all, but has been wanting mummy more recently (I assumed it was just that I'm around more with the holidays....)
I have a chair next to his cot, and have spent a lot of time patting, keeping my hand on him, or just repeating 'sleepy time' whilst sitting there. Tbh I've found gradual withdrawal too gradual to notice until now, maybe I need to be more patient!
I'll let you know how we get on. Thanks again.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 13:30:23 pm »
My pleasure. They all go through these sticky situations. Mine is going through one currently for her half-birthday developmental leap  ::)

I'm awful at GW too, I like to so things quickly. But sometimes these bubbas have other ideas!

The A times are about right, it looks good. However, they constantly change at this age just to keep us on out toes. If our first option doesn't work, we can revisit the routine but I don't think it'll make much of a difference to your NW's xx

Offline Linkyminx

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 19:39:35 pm »
Hi,
Just wanted to update you on our progress; my son has managed to sleep through from 6.30pm-6am on three out of the last four nights! I think this is due to a combination of being very alert to SA, and patient gradual withdrawal if he does wake.
Thank you so much for your input, I feel much more empowered to deal with the situation if it recurs!
Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 19:43:19 pm »
Thanks so much for the update, it's lovely to hear when things are going well too  :). Well done you, that was down to your hard work and perseverance. Do pop back whenever you need to ok? Xx