Author Topic: How to get a second letdown when I pump?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
How to get a second letdown when I pump?
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:40:46 am »
I pump to supplement DD2 because she has a tongue tie and is not an efficient feeder.

When I BF I get multiple letdowns. But when I pump i cannot get more than one letdown. I wil get the same every time: 2 oz from the right side and 1 oz from the left side (i have unequal supply). Then nothing really comes out, even if sometimes my breast still feels full. I have to stop, do something else, and then pump again 20-30 minutes later. Problem is that life is busy with 3 kids so I often forget the second pumping session and then by the time i remember I won't risk it because it's too close to feeding time.

Is there anything i can do to get a second letdown on the pump?
Elise

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How to get a second letdown when I pump?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:35:10 am »
Just giving you a bump! No btdt as I could only pump first thing in the am before I fed when I was full to bursting...never got an initial letdown nevermind a second one!
Heidi

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 22:44:44 pm »
Have you tried pumping one side whilst feeding from the other? That was the only way I could let down for the pump at all with DS! Perhaps it could help you get a second let down? Guess that only works if she's a single side feeder though...?

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 13:46:50 pm »
She is a double side feeder. But maybe I can still try when she's on the second side, to pump the first side, not sure if that would work, but it's Worth a try!
Elise

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 21:33:48 pm »
Actually having this conversation on another thread and one of the ladies who knows more about these things than I do suggested that since LOs are more efficient than pumps, if you pump from one side whilst feeding from the other, and then let her go to the second side, she'll probably get at least the equivalent of 1.5 sides, which, since she'll be getting solids and other milk feeds in the day, should be fine.