Author Topic: Given baby dummy, is she getting enough hind milk now?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Han12345

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Given baby dummy, is she getting enough hind milk now?
« on: January 07, 2016, 20:44:18 pm »
Hi,

My little girl will be 5 weeks on Saturday and in the last week I have introduced the dummy to her for day times. Before I introduced it she would eat every 1/1.5hr during the day and she wouldn't really sleep or settle for long unless in my arms. The dummy has meant she can now go up to 3/3.5hrs in the day between feeds. She usually has 30mins to 1hr activity time after her feed and then will sleep for a couple of hours so I'm really happy with how that is all going.

My problem is that I'm worried she isn't getting enough hind milk? Before the dummy she would feed for around 10 mins sometimes 15/20 mins and obviously every 1/1.5 she was getting lots of food. Now she is only feeding for around 5minutes? Is this enough?

I had started to express also since she started the dummy and have only done one boob a day and managed around 3 to 5oz. I had just noticed tonight one of my boobs felt very full and lumpy. To ensure I wasn't getting a blocked duct I fed my LG who managed to feed for 6 minutes and my boob was still huge so I have expressed and managed to get out nearly 4oz. That's after feeding her??

Is this normal? If she got the hind milk would she settle for longer? Am I giving her the dummy too much?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Given baby dummy, is she getting enough hind milk now?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 20:53:30 pm »
I'd say pumping has increased your supply - that's more likely to be causing a reduction in fats in the milk she takes than any amount of dummy use - Unlikely she'll take a dummy when hungry, no milk comes out of it!

If you're worried about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, you can do a few things:\
1. Massage breast at the chest wall (the outside, not near the areola) before a feed to loosen fats off the walls of the milk ducts.
2. Pump one breast before feeding LO, start her on that side then switch to the other side. That gives her the hindmilk more so off the first breast and she can quench her thirst with the second side.

Stuff to know about foremilk and hindmilk - have a read here: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/

It is absolutely possible you're seeing a reduction in comfort suckling at the breast given she has the dummy - not a nutritional issue necessarily.
It is also possible she's getting plenty of calories by feeding for 5min, my DS did and if you're making as much milk as you say, its quite likely she's getting enough to fill her tummy, especially as she is able to go 3-3.5hr between feeds.

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 21:12:09 pm »
TBH I would watch this closely as she is only 5 weeks. a dummy can interfere with supply. maybe have a read here:
http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/pacifier/
I don't want to scare you but I would really reduce the dummy use to ensure she is drinking enough on the breast. I think the link above describes quite well what Im trying to say. hope that helps!
Franziska

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 20:42:50 pm »
How are things now?

Are you giving the dummy only when you want her to sleep or right after a feed?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011