Author Topic: away for 3 nights, don't want to stop BF  (Read 1468 times)

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
away for 3 nights, don't want to stop BF
« on: January 22, 2016, 14:30:03 pm »
Hi There,

I planning a bit in advance here. LO is nearly 8 months and when she is 12 months DH and myself will be going on a weekend away for 3 nights. I booked that trip when nursing went badly and now its going better and Im not ready to stop, don't think even when she is 12 months.
she doesn't take a bottle at the moment and Im not pushing it too hard either. also, like most BF babies, she nurses for comfort and still gets 1 DF and 1 NF. This may be gone by the time our trip comes along. so my question really is can I continue to breastfeed despite being away for 3 days and nights? Im conscious as well not to give my MIL a hard time who will be looking after the girls when we are away. also, how can she get her milk feeds? I must practise more to get milk into her from a cup. I would of course pump when Im away to keep my supply up. has anyone done something similar and still breastfed after their return? ideas much appreciated!
Franziska

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: away for 3 nights, don't want to stop BF
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 23:24:30 pm »
Just bumping your post...no btdt but would she take a straw cup?
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 23:06:36 pm »
4 months is a really long time so rest assured that she will cope a lot better without the breast at 12mo than she would now at 8mo.

I went away for 3 days and 2 nights when my DS2 was 13mo and he was still having 4 BFs in the day plus a NF. He just has solids and the odd cup of cows milk from DH. I pumped 3 times a day and got about 5oz each time which I just dumped. I did find that the pump didn't empty my right breast well and I got a blockage. That did clear as soon as I got home and nursed DS2 though. He went right back to nursing and we eventually weaned at 26mo.

I second the straw cup.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 15:09:16 pm »
hi ali,

thanks thats reassuring. what was your LO's reaction when you got back? was he "angry"? you are right, its still 4 months away, so we will see how it goes. we are doing BLW and at the moment not much food gets actually eaten. I know this will probably change too by the time she is 12 months. I guess I just worry that nobody can settle her and that she won't get enough to eat...
Franziska

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 22:22:28 pm »
Maybe get whoever will be settling her while you're away to have a few practice runs to get her used to it.

I cant really remember his exact reaction but I don't think it was a bad one. I think he just came to me and wanted to BF actually!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011