Author Topic: Is it an infection?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline AZmom09

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:57:42 am »
 My LO is 4 weeks old and nursing has been going well but now My left side is so so sore, the nipple is a bit brused/purple too and the whole breast is very sore and tender. At first I thought it was just b.c I was full and maybe he hasnt been getting a good latch, but i think now that it may be something else. My other side is fine and I think his latch is fine too. Could it be mastitis or something? I dont have fever or other signs but i am so so sore and nursing is hurting on that side. Also it is just on the right side of that breast that is sore, the inner side. I don't feel any hard lumps that would be clogged ducts so thats why I am confused since I thought with mastitis i'd feel a clogged duct. HELP!!!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Is it an infection?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 18:54:30 pm »
It could well be, best to get checked out asap. I hope it isn't!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 21:18:21 pm »
I would say go get checked but also it's ***very important*** that you keep feeding on the sore side - if it's the early stages of mastitis or a clogged duct, not feeding will make it much much worse.  So, take some ibuprofen for the pain (it will also deal with any swelling) and feed or gently hand express from the sore side.

Have you any red patches on the breast? I had recurrent mastitis (yuck) and would always get a wedge shaped red patch, feel like I had the flu, and feeding was like having shards of glass rather than milk coming through :( so hope you don't have that and are feeling all better already.

You can also try changing your feeding position on that side to better drain the breast, maybe that duct isn't being emptied.

Also, be aware that not every GP is well up on BFing so if you think the advice you're getting is dodgy, double-check it. These guys are amazing, have a look at this checklist:
https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/if-breastfeeding-hurts-05-may-2015/
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.