Author Topic: Wonder Week and Napping  (Read 898 times)

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 27, 2016, 18:23:49 pm »
My 2 month old daughter was following the EASY routine great, until we fell into the 2 month wonder week.  She has always slept in her crib great, taking 1.5-2 hour naps.  The last few days have been awful and I'm attributing it to Wonder Weeks.  It takes a while to get her down for a nap, and when I finally do, she's up in 20 minutes.  I try everything to get her back to sleep and nothing works.  The only way she'll sleep longer is if she in on you or in swing, which I do not want to get her in that habit of doing.  I hope I don't have much longer of this left.  Do I let her sleep on me or in swing until we get through this? I don't want to start sleep props. 
I also can't get her to sleep for the night any earlier than 11pm but we're trying.  Any advice would be great. 

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Wonder Week and Napping
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 19:21:12 pm »
Hi Ashley/Megan (I wonder who is who:)

I am so sorry to hear you are so tired. I feel for you. Hang in there!!

I would love to know some more about you guys.
Could you answear some questions for me?
1. Do you use pacifier when you put her down?
2. Do you swaddle her?
3. Do you have a routine? i.e. you come into the room, you close the curtains, hold her, sing etc. Things you do every time in the similar way. If so, tell me more about it.
4. Do you BF or FF?
5. And that's the last one, I promise:) Could you write down your day in an EASY format? That would make it easier for me to interpret.I.e.
700 WU
7:20 bottle
9:00 S

I will try to help!

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 20:41:36 pm »
Hello,
Thank you for the reply. Sorry it took a while to respond.
We've got past the 20 minute mark and she now wakes up exactly 40 minutes into her nap everyday. 

To answer your questions, we don't use a pacifier when we put her down- she is constantly spitting it out so I didn't want to make it into a sleep prop for her. 
We do swaddle her -  but she screams and screams when she is being swaddled. 

We do have a routine - for naps, its changing, followed by a little sing/walk around the dark room, rocking and shush/pat to calm her (as she is always crying at this point) and putting her down once she is calm, continuing with the "shush" "pat" if she begins fussing.  For bedtime, it is bottle then bath, massage, swaddle, rock/sing. Bedtime seems a bit better, but it sometimes takes us a long time to get her down.  My husband unfortunately took over last night after 45 minutes and got her to sleep by rocking her.  :(  But she did sleep from 9:15-7:30.

She is formula fed.  Right now, she is eating 6 oz every 3-4 hours (usually every 3.5-4 hours).  I don't know if this is where the issue is.  She will sometimes finish the bottle dry, but I'm afraid to offer more, as we just increased it from 5 oz and she is a reflux babe. 

I am ashamed to say that our schedules have been all over the place. 
I'm hoping I am picking up on her tired cues - there are days she will yawn 10 minutes after she wakes up - what do I do in that case?

E - 7:30 am
A - ~7:50 am - 8:25.  At 8:25, she began getting fussy, increased yawning, began nap routine.  8:35 put in crib, shush pat.
S -  Finally asleep at 8:48.

And this is where the fun begins.  She woke at 9:35, let out a cry and fussed/talked to herself for ~ 9 minutes, then back to sleep.
She woke up again at 9:45 - tried the shush, pat - but could not get to settle again.  She would for a few minutes, then wake back up the second you stop patting her. 
At this time, I put her in the swing for 45 minutes, saw she was still tired, and put her back down for  a nap in crib. 
She fell asleep at 10:48, woke again at 11:20. 

E- 11:20 am
A
S- 1:00 pm, then up at 1:28 because of my darn dog and I couldn't get her back to sleep.  After 35 minutes of trying, I brought her out to the swing, where she fell asleep.

That is so far for today.  The schedule will repeat itself, unfortunately.  I'm at a loss and exhausted.  :(

I know some babies take shorter naps, but I know she is still tired when she wakes.  :(