Author Topic: Help-the evil 45 minute nap intruder at 6 months! I'm exhausted  (Read 889 times)

Offline vthatcher

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help-the evil 45 minute nap intruder at 6 months! I'm exhausted
« on: February 06, 2016, 00:46:47 am »
So my EBF girl turned 6 months 2 days ago and in the last few days she has been escaping the swaddle and she finally rolled over for the first time today. She also got 3 shots and an oral vaccination 2 days ago.  In other words, there's a lot going on. 
This was our EASY up until a few days ago
Wake up at 7am
A-2 to 2.15 hours
S-10am
A
S;12:30
E-2/2:10pm
A
S-410/4:20pm
E-5:15/5:30pm: this feed sometimes ends up only being one side because I know I'm going to be tanking her up before bed
A-she gets a bath every 3-5 days right now
E-Tank up anywhere between 6:45-7pm
S-Between 7 & 730 depending on when I woke her from her last nap
DF-If I fed her at 6:45pm she often wakes up at 9:45/9:50pm. Basically she almost always wakes up on her own but very occasionally if I tanked her up after 7pm I will get to her first.
E-1amish full feed
E-3:30/4am pretty full feed
Start over

However in the last week her 1st & 3rd nap has consistently been only 45 minutes so it looked more like this;
E-7am
A-2 to 2.15 hours
S-9:30am
E-10/10:10am
A
S-12pm
E-2/2:10pm
A
S-4/4:15p
E-4:30/4:45pm
A-she gets a bath every 3-5 days right now
E-6:30/6:40
S-7:10
Last night she woke up at 9pm and I PU/PD until she fell back asleep at 9;30 and then I DF her at 1030pm
E-220am
Start over

And actually today all her naps were only 45 minutes long so I'm planning on putting her to bed at 6:30pm and hoping for the best

My main problem is that when she wakes up after only 45 minutes she is perfectly happy. She makes a little cranky noise and if I leave her she starts getting louder and then gets hysterical if I try pu/pd, but if I go in right when I hear her she gives me a big smile and is ready to play. I tried to do PU/PD after she smiled and she started crying and even after I gave up she wouldn't stop crying for almost 20 minutes until I gave in and nursed her even though it had only been 3 hrs since her last feed. 

I'm exhausted and losing it because she's also started being up for an hour at night flailing her arms after her early am feed.  Is this just a developmental hiccup and I should just ride it out or do I really need to press her to extend her naps before this becomes a habit? I'm too tired to think straight...

Offline vthatcher

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help-the evil 45 minute nap intruder at 6 months! I'm exhausted
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 01:01:56 am »
I forgot to say that she is definitely OT today even though shes been waking up smiling. She gets extremely cranky after about half hr after waking and wont settle unless I nurse her

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 18:58:11 pm »
Hi there,
sorry you waited that long.
It seems to me she is going through that magical 6mo time, where most of LO have trouble with naps:)
First of all, I would not worry that it will become a habbit. It's just a transition, trust me.
But there are things you can do. You can try to extend A time, starting with the first one in the morning, in 15 min increments. The reason for that is sometimes, when LO are fully rested after a short nap, playfull and happy, this is a sign that they were not tired enough to need a longer nap.Do you think this could be the case?
About feeding... Did you start her on solids already? If so, how much is she having?

Offline vthatcher

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 21:11:47 pm »
Ha-well, after all that she may have figured it out on her own. Yesterday she took 2 good 2 hour naps in her crib! Of course then she was up every couple hours at night, so I'm still exhausted, but...
she has just started solids and I'm trying out Baby Led Weaning so she's not really eating much...just trying stuff out like sweet potato fingers and toast fingers with avocado and butter.  '
I think I'm going to go back to the Night waking board and try to figure out why she is now waking up every 2-3 hours. Ugh

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 08:51:13 am »
Glad to hear naps are looking better :) Maybe it's odd, but I am glad I was no help ;)

Starting solids is not about eating much, it's about learning how to eat new things and different things:)

I will lock that topic as you sound like your problem is solved. If something comes up feel free to start a new one :)
Good luck!!