Author Topic: 20 week old still mostly cat napping  (Read 1329 times)

Offline AbbG

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:38:19 am »
Bub's 20 weeks old & has been a cat napper since around 10 weeks, with the occasional longer nap. Patting to extend the nap don't work and things have been too crazy around here to do wake to sleep (esp cause, as below, he seemed aired last week).

So a couple of weeks ago my little boy's sleep was all over the place, over the following weekend he took a couple of longer naps and then the Monday and Tuesday last week I moved him to 2 hours awake time (from 1.50) and he suddenly started sleeping longer, had 1+ hours for 2 sleeps and then a cat nap. Wednesday be was back to cat napping. Thursday be had 1+ hours, 40 mins (cause his dad accidentally put him down early) and then 1+ hours.
Friday Saturday Sunday we were away and he slept in our camper so was back to cat napping - he'd always wake really happy.

He's on 2 hours awake time and I'm today starting to try to move him away from wrapping - seems to be going well and I see no signs of the startle refelx.

mondays EASY
E 7.00 (did a massive sick up a couple of hours later)
S 8.55 (went to sleep quicker than expected) to 9.35

E 10.00
S 11.35 to 12.20

E 1pm (seemed to want this feed earlier but less than 3 hours at this age seems more like it was just cause he was awake - which happens a little with the cat napping)
S 2.05 - 2.45 (put him down early to be sure to fit in 2 more naps)

E 4pm
S 4.50 - 5.30 (had trouble going to sleep for this nap)

I really thought we'd come through and stopped cat napping (for the most part!) but today doesn't look like it!

Do you think he needs another bump in A time already?

I'm just worried about doing it as, based on a 7am wakeup it's already hard to fit in a 4th nap (would be 5-5.40 based on a 2 hour awake time and 40 minute naps. And if it doesn't fix the problem he'll just end up with 40 mins less sleep per day!

He's also started waking after bedtime overtired (around 1-2 hours later, can tell its overtired wake as he screams and arches his back). Needs to be resettled by rocking to sleep or most recently feeding. He then feeds 1-2 times overnight.

TUESDAYS EASY

Woke 6.40 (I think!)

E 7.00
S 8.47 -9.19 (overtired it seems - but perhaps I had wake time wrong)

E 10.25
S 11.26 - 12.06 (nearly 2.10 off a 30 minute nap - I had hoped this would yield a longer sleep!) he actually went back to sleep at 12.20 but for just 2 minutes! Then again at 12.26 till around 12.33...

E 1.50
S 2.10 - 3.00

E 4.25
S 5.03 - 5.45 (woke him at 5.45 to pick up his brother from childcare - would have only slept another couple of mins anyway I think)

E 6.26
S 7.20 (ish)

WEDNESDAY's EASY so far...

wake - 6.45

E 7.00
S 8.55 to 10.30 (!!!)

E 10.45
S 12.40 to 1.25 :(

Thoughts?

Really hoping someone can PLEASE share their thoughts re extending awake time and how I then make sure he still gets enough sleep (and doesn't end up overtired at bed time and wakes up really upset).
Many thanks!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:08:54 am by AbbG »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 20 week old still mostly cat napping
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 19:16:34 pm »
Sorry your post has been missed, I shall bump this for you x

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:11:16 am »
Hello!  We are having tons of short naps over here as well so I completely understand and sympathize.  I think what might be happening is you are in a UT/OT loop - so he is under tired for the first nap therefore has a short nap, but then is overtired by the time the next nap rolls around (and by the end of the day due to the short naps). 

I think he might need another gentle push in A times to really get him onto a 2 nap plus CN routine.  Do you think he could handle a 2.15hr A time and see what that does?  I do remember my DS A times increased pretty quickly between 4-6 months...I found I was needing to increase almost ever other week.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:17:02 am by Lindsay27 »

Offline AbbG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 04:50:27 am »
Hi.

Thanks for the response.

I bumped A times today, aimed for 2.15 however bub went to sleep quicker than expected this morning! However (as above - Wednesday) this did result in a 1.5 hour nap, however the second nap had the same awake time but only had a 40 minute sleep - massive bummer.
In 3rd nap now, assume it'll be 40 mins too... Massive bummer that the second nap wasn't a little longer, had it been we'd have had a good end of cat nap time, as it is now, it's looking to be around 6.20 which will need an early bed time and even with that likely an over tired wake up.

So, based on today, do you reckon I again aim for 2.15 and see how that goes?

I reckon he can likely handle it, and he's 5 months in a week so will only just be above the averages.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 18:21:06 pm »
I would aim for the same first A time and see how that goes and then shorten the 2nd one if that gave you an OT nap today x

Offline AbbG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 22:09:53 pm »
Hi.

Yesterday 2.10 yielded a 1.5 hour nap and then a 45 minute nap - so the second wasn't overtired.... So not sure what to do?!

I'll tell you what though, I am overtired! This kid waking even just twice is killing me!

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 21:29:55 pm »
This sounds so like my DS who short napped from about 1 month old until 5 or 6 months when he AT LAST settled down.  The only way I could get him to do a longer nap was in the sling (so I got quite fit!). Anyway...what I found out was that the A times varied throughout the day (and still do).  So if 2.10 worked for nap 1 and you got a 1.5 hour nap (fantastic - we never had this!) then you may need a longer A time for nap 2.  At 6 months my DS needed a 3 hour A time in the middle of the day to get a decent nap (and that was after a short 1st nap!) but could only handle a short A time in the late afternoon. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:20:08 am »
Yesterday 2.10 yielded a 1.5 hour nap and then a 45 minute nap - so the second wasn't overtired.... So not sure what to do?!

Maybe it was an UT nap after that good first nap then? Trying extending the second A time and see what happens