Author Topic: Help on where to start with 12 week old  (Read 2292 times)

Offline BethG4

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help on where to start with 12 week old
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 06:03:12 am »
Hi

Here is how yesterday went:

Up 6:30
E- 7:30
A- 2hr 5 (I didn't realise my husband had got him up so early!)
S- 8:35-8:55, 9:05-10:50
E-11:00
A-1hr 20
S- 55min- 1hr 15- 12:20-13:15, awake/trying to self settle 13:20-13:40
E- 13:45
A- 1hr 30
S- 55min- 15:15-16:00, 16:05-16:15
E- 16:20
A- 1hr 10 min
S- 17:30- 18:00
E- 18:30
A- 2hrs- bath and WD
E- 19:20
S- BT- 19:40-20:35
E- 20:40
S- 21:00

Night feeds- midnight, 2:30, 5:30

However, we've had an absolutely horrendous night. He woke up for a feed after 3hrs, did a dirty nappy (which he never does at night) and then took an hour to get him to sleep again. He was awake after half an hour and he has been awake every half hour or hour all night since. He's absolutely hysterical when we try to get him to go back to sleep. I thought that better day time sleep was supposed to make them sleep better at night but if this is how he is when his naps are good then I would rather he had less day time sleep. What do you think? I know some of today's A times were too long, but would that really have this effect?

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 07:48:55 am »
Ouch, that is an awful night! You have my every sleepy sympathy, my DD (4 mo) did similar a few nights this week.  For her I think it was a combination of growth spurt and developmental stuff & possibly teething too. 

I honestly don't know whether his bad night is down to the day sleep before or something else. Yes, usually better day sleep gives a better night.  My DD has sometimes been a bit disrupted at night if she has a mega nap e.g. 3hrs  but usually too much day sleep gives her early waking or long but happy night wakings, not short, sad frequent ones (I can't remember what DS did but he wasn't good at napping so I don't think too much day sleep was ever an issue for him!)

Sometimes they just have a bad night or two for other reasons e.g. Growth spurt, teeth, illness, wind, developmental spurts (wonder weeks). If it were me,  I would give it another day or 2 continuing as you are in the day (with extra tea & chocolate for you & your DH!) & see what happens. 
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline BethG4

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 00:26:55 am »
Thanks. We'll give it some more time. I do suspect growth spurt as he's very cross finishing his night feeds and he isn't usually like that. Here goes nothing!!!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 07:33:10 am »
Fingers crossed for you.  A broken frequent feeding night for us too.  These babies love to see us in the early hours don't they?

If you feel you're getting better naps in the days but nights continue to be very disrupted & you're not sure why, you could try a post on "night waking" board?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline BethG4

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:35:45 am »
Will do! Still to get daytime naps sorted as I'm almost always still having to come in, pick up and shh pat or rock back to sleep some way through every nap. I think it's partly because I'm not getting his A times quite right.

Sorry you had a sleepless night too. We had a repeat performance of the night before. Reading horrifying things about the 12week growth spurt lasting 5 weeks!!!