Author Topic: LSN, 18 month SR or just teething??? - I need eyes on this please  (Read 970 times)

Offline athenasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
OK so DD is 19 months old and she has always been a fairly good sleeper. Usually no issues with going to sleep but some NW's that are routine or discomfort related. Anyway, until now no real issues. She is in an in-home daycare that she has been going to full time since 3 months old. She has always been sleeping well there. For the third time now she has not napped there. Not.one.minute  :o Of course, she falls asleep as soon as I put her in the car and I let her nap for 45 min or so then do BT at the regular time. This happened first in December then again last week Wednesday and yesterday. The daycare lady said she lays down and stays quiet then just tosses and turns around. Eventually she lets DD sit up and look at books because she needs to keep her quiet so the others can sleep. So these are my thoughts:
1) She is LSN. She switched to 1 nap when she was only 10 months old and she was never OT one bit so it was the right time. She sleeps on an average 10.5 - 11 hour nights and she wakes happy and rested. She never slept more than 11 hour nights. At home she goes to sleep no problem but her nap is later than at the daycare. I cannot really change the nap time at daycare so the only thing I could do about it is wake her earlier in the morning and shorten her night. But I am not sure that is the right thing to do.

2) It could be the 18 months sleep regression although I do not see any other signs. Of course at home the bedroom is very dark and there is white noise and she does not have the option to get up an look at books instead. Again, these are not things I can control  :(

3) She is currently cutting her top canines. She is much more fussy and clingy during the daytime too. So I know it is affecting her. But it does not seem to affect her night  ???

So what do you ladies think? Help me come up with a plan to tackle this or just put my mind to easy. I feel so out of control because most of the things surrounding her nap is out of my control. I know she is growing up and eventually this will not even be an issue but right now I am worried that she is not getting the rest she needs.  :'(
*Suzanna*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: LSN, 18 month SR or just teething??? - I need eyes on this please
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:28:42 am »
So far, it's happened one day per week for the last two weeks? How is she when you pick her up?

She could just be initiating the 1-0 on her own...

How is her normal BT going after the 45min CN on the way home?

I guess if BT is still OK and she's still sleeping well at night and she's still napping fine most days and she's not showing signs of OT, then its probably ok to trust that she's being given the opportunity to sleep and not taking it because she doesn't need it. From what you've written, it seems like she has a stable enough routine that she can self-regulate.

Teeth and half-birthday can be reasons for the clinginess - I don't think its necessarily nap-related, esp. if its happening in the AM before nap would be as well as in the PM.

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 12:18:25 pm »
Hi suzanna, it doesn't seem like to teeth to me either. For your sake I hope it's not 1-0 :P could be just part of the regression, being more aware of her surroundings at daycare etc. could the cater try putting her down a tad later maybe?

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 13:01:59 pm »
Hmm even for a lsn kid that is early for nap dropping but not impossible! My DD3 dropped hers completely at 22 months (we were down to 30 min naps at that point) and she is extremely lsn. It may just be that with more things going on at daycare and the nap being earlier that she not tired enough and distracted from even trying to settle for a nap. If she napped on the way home and still went to bed I think that says she isn't quite ready to do without it...but in saying that if it is only happening the odd time and not affecting the night then I would not worry too much about it.
Heidi

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 13:47:53 pm »
She napped for over 2 hours yesterday  :o She messed about at BT just a bit but not too bad. But she was up for the day after just 9 hours of sleep. there was no going back to sleep ... she was all happy and chatty and ready for the day <sigh>
So she is definitely LSN. I guess what really bothers me is the unpredictability. We had a good routine but now it feels that it is falling apart. One ay she does not nap the next day she naps super long but pulls a short night  ::)

I guess I will have to talk to the daycare lady and come up with a good routine. She was doing about 10.5 hour nights and 2 hour naps lately before things went down the drain. So what nap length shall we try to aim for?
*Suzanna*

Offline ginger428

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 13:53:54 pm »
Hi Suzanna, (miss you so much btw)

Routine shake-ups aren't fun.
M went from 1.45-2.0 hrs to 1.10-1.30 around that time. Maybe try 1.45 or straight to 1.30?

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 14:04:06 pm »
I miss you too girl  ;D I was thinking about jumping over to the 18 month sleep regression support thread  ;)

See my little girl is extreme ... she never does anything just half way. She either naps long or does not nap at all LOL  ;D Anyway, I was thinking about the 1.45 first too and see how that goes. BTW she cut the left top canine and the right one is right behind.
*Suzanna*