Author Topic: separation anxiety 8 months old  (Read 1617 times)

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
separation anxiety 8 months old
« on: February 15, 2016, 13:54:35 pm »
hi there,

my LG started to have a difficult time going down for BT initially and now also for naps. she has SA during the day, cries when I leave the room etc. she used to go down very well for naps and reasonably well for BT, usually within 10 mins settling herself or with minimal shush pat. now it can take up to an hour with hard screaming. I do shush pat and pupd but she gets even more mad. I feed her after 45 mins if there is still no sleep. yesterday I tried to get her down for 25 mins and then DH took over and she went down instantly. I don't know if that was coincidence or what. I read the sticky about SA and it suggests to do wi/wo but I think she is a bit small for this. so, will it settle if I continue to do shush pat and pupd?
thanks ...
Franziska

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: separation anxiety 8 months old
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 19:58:20 pm »
Do you want to post your routine? It may be that we just need to tweak something there. Sometimes LOs at that age are ready for a touch more A time and can go ballistic if you try to put them down when they're not ready. If tweaking doesn't work, then we can figure out whether to try pu/pd or wi/wo.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 20:29:01 pm »
thanks for your reply.
my Lo is LSN, we currently have an A time of 3.45h, she sleeps 11 hrs overnight and about 2.5 hrs in naps.
yesterday was like this
WU 6 am
1st nap 9.45-11.45. I usually wake after 1.5hrs, yesterday I let her sleep a bit longer as she has a cold, I still had to wake her at 2 hrs
2nd nap 3.48-4.10 (I tried a bump in A time as I thought the same, that she needs more now) but she woke after 20mins which is OT for her. I wasn't able to settle her, so we had to do early BT.
BT 6.45, settled at 7.15pm
we had a long NW of 2 hours, she was very upset, again this is a new thing. she usually doesn't have long NW's anymore, just wakes for 1 NF and goes straight back down.
any ideas?
Franziska

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:39:26 am »
The first thing I would try would be to not cap the am nap and just follow her lead for a day or 2. Maybe she just needs a chance to catch up on lost night sleep??? I had a hard time doing that with LO1 but I finally listened to my mom's advice with LO2 and when he had a rough patch, I would just follow his lead for a few days to see what happened and it usually sorted things out. If you end up with lots of day sleep and it leads to a worse night at least we know which direction to go in!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014