Author Topic: TWO long NW for 8 month old-exhausted mama!  (Read 1514 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
TWO long NW for 8 month old-exhausted mama!
« on: February 15, 2016, 15:12:39 pm »
Hi!

Not sure if I should ask here or the my naps post (I'm sorry if I'm overstepping bounds) but the past two days DS has had two long NW which includes an EMW. They have been occurring around 2-3 am and 5-6 am.   It takes about an hour for him to go to sleep. No crying just up! Even feeding doesn't settle him. He's also waking up earlier and earlier after BT. He's used to go for4-5 hours now it's barely two hours. His overall sleep average is quickly deteriorating. He usually averages 13.5-14 hours daily but it has quickly dwindled to under 12 hours!

Here's what's been happening:

NW 11:16, 3:20 am

Total ~ 10.5

WU 6:17 am (approximate; might have dozed for 10 minutes around 7 but not enough to count as sleep; I was in and out of sleep)
E
A
E 8:55 (BF)
A
S 9:58- 11:36 am (~A 3:38 (due to approximate wake up time)
E 11:38
A
E 12:45 pm (solids and water)
A
S 3:06- 3:42 pm (A 3:30; crying hysterically. Maybe not tired enough or WW)
E 3:50
A (party)
E 6:54
S 7:02 pm (A 3:20; crying very OT? and probably OS; came home from party; no wind down; woke up briefly at 2:01)

Yesterday:

NW 10:01 (didn't feed), 11:08 (fed), 2-2:43 (fed; wide awake and restless), 4:55-5:21 am (wide awake again!)

Total ~ 11 hrs

WU 7:27 am
S 11:14-11:46 am (A 3:44; patted crying hysterically for 10 minutes rolling around)
S 2:45-3:25 pm (A 2:59; Mom babysitting; she said he woke up calmly- maybe slightly UT)
BT 6:29 pm (3:04; nursed)

NW for last night: 9:16, 11 pm, 2:20-3:05 (wide awake and restless; kept tossing and turning; fed and fell asleep a little afterwards), 5:30-6:30 (same; wide awake finally fed and somewhat drifted). From there he is restless until official wake up time.

The routine I am aiming for (with the help of the naps board) is the following:

WU 7am (give or take 30 minutes)
A 3.75
S 11:15-12 pm
A 3 hrs
S 3-4:30 pm
A 3.25
BT 7:45 pm

He recently bumped his first A to 3.75; the second A I'm still toying around with because he gets broken naps here where I need to resettle.

Can OT cause these type of night wakings? Is it a regression? Is there anything to be done routine wise? I'm so exhausted already. I can't imagine having to do this every day for who knows how long.

Of course if my thread should stay in the naps board I completely understand. I just wasn't sure where to post this specific question on NW. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 19:06:52 pm by trimbler »
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: TWO long NW for 8 month old-exhausted mama!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 19:57:35 pm »
Hi there, I tend to find that the earlier NWs are more likely to be associated with OT, although I have experienced long OT NWs around 3-4h after BT, which I assumed were UT but turned out to be OT. Also OT can cause short nights, ie EWs which may or may not be resettled from. However things like developmental spurts (is he in a ww now?) or discomfort (teething? New foods?) could be likely culprits for this sort of waking - do you think it could be anything like that? I'll leave your routine to the lovely ladies already chatting with you on naps, since I wouldn't really have anything else to add to that - would you like this post moved back over there to combine with the rest of your thread?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 20:48:24 pm »
Hi! Yes it can be moved! I definitely don't want to split things up unnecessarily.

He is at Wonder Week 37 so I do feel it's a huge part of it and I think you are right about OT bc he has been clocking in 1.5-two hours less than he normally sleeps in a 24 hour period. I think WW and cumulative OT plays a part of this. Teething can always be a culprit as he has been drooling a lot and looking flushed in the cheeks. I'm not sure how I would know if food was affecting him.

In regards to the routine, I'm in the process of tweaking in Naps.

I was just wondering if there was anything I was missing. Maybe I can pull back the A times a bit before BT and possibly before the am or pm nap.

Does this sound like a sleep regression? He will be 8.5 months this Thursday.
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 19:06:32 pm »
Hi there  sorry only realised after replying that your original post in this thread is the same as one of your posts on your naps thread, so no point really in moving it as I don't think there's any new information? I'm not saying that it's definitely OT, just sharing my (and many others') experiences of what sort of wakings OT can result in - it may well be more to do with the ww, hard to say for sure and of course there's a chicken/egg thing going on anyway with ww making it more difficult to settle to sleep and then producing OT... Tbh I don't think there's anything really to add to the advice you're getting on naps, but I can certainly follow along there as another pair of eyes - please just remember that you're the one who knows your LO best, we can offer advice/suggestions based on our own experiences and those of others we've got to know on here, but every LO is different :-*

I'm going to lock this thread, if that's ok then, just continue on your naps thread, or pm me if there's something else I missed :)