Author Topic: Sleep regression - need for training, or just wait it out?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
Sleep regression - need for training, or just wait it out?
« on: February 16, 2016, 18:15:12 pm »
Hey everyone,

My son is 5 months now (born three weeks early) and for 2-3 weeks now, has gone from sleeping 8 hours at a time, waking for a brief feed, and then going back to sleep for 4 hours, to waking 3+ times per night. I figured it was the four-month sleep regression, but I'm wondering now if it's something I should be able to just wait out, or if it's a sign that we need to start some form of sleep training. He's also had a cold for the past few days so that's likely contributing as well.

Previously, I hadn't done much as far as trying to teach sleep independence - we have a bedtime routine that includes jammies, a book, then me nursing him, and he'd usually pull off when he was done with his feed and doze off while I was holding him. Occasionally he'd wake up when I was putting him down, but he'd nod back off in the crib without my help. And like I said, he had started sleeping longer stretches on his own so I didn't worry about it.

What are my next steps - wait it out, or start trying to teach him independent sleep?

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Sleep regression - need for training, or just wait it out?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:00:20 am »
I would wait a bit longer to see if it gets better on it's own. Many LOs (mine included) hit a blip at that age. Are you feeding for any/all of the NWs? He could genuinely be hungry.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 16:19:27 pm »
I do feed during the NWs - sometimes he eats like he's hungry, other times he's just comfort nursing.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 16:46:15 pm »
Haha:) on the contrary I would do something. I usually wait 10-14 days to sort things out. If it's more I start to solve the problem as sickness, regression and teeth are usually gone after that period. 4th regression needs a sleep cut here to <3h to achieve good nights.
~Marta