Author Topic: Baby sleeps thru night but wakes up halfway thru nap....will PU/PD work?  (Read 888 times)

Offline jojodorian

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi! My 3.5 month old generally sleeps through the night (10-6) and will nap for 1.5 hours on her EASY cycle if she's being rocked or is in a baby carrier.   I know that I need to get her to nap in her bed, but right now if I put her in bed at naptime, she  won't fall asleep, because she is used  to my rocking her to sleep (which I know I shouldn't be doing but I love it!) If I rock her to sleep, and then put her in her bed, she will stay asleep only for the first sleep cycle, and then wake up crying after the 45 mins have passed, and is still sleepy. She is also still sleeping in her bassinet, as opposed to her crib, because she's quite small. So what I need help with is:
1)  Do I use PU/PD  right from the beginning of naptime? Or do I just use it halfway through? If I use it halfway through, will she eventually sleep all the way through her nap?
2)  is there any risk of PU/PD at naps affecting her nighttime sleep?
3)  do I do PU/PD in her bassinet  for naps, and then transition her to her crib later? Or do I do PU/PD in her crib for naps, and then move her nighttime sleep to her crib later? Or do I do the whole enchilada at once – PU/PD for naps in the crib and at the same time move her to her crib for her nighttime sleep? The nighttime sleep is obviously the thing I am most concerned about maintaining. I don't want to create a problem and have her start waking up in the middle of the night again!
Help!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Baby sleeps thru night but wakes up halfway thru nap....will PU/PD work?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:59:04 am »
Hi there!  I would suggest you start with Shhh-Pat, as your LO is not yet quite 4 months and it's quite a gentle approach.  I'll attach the link below with all the proper details.  The suggestion is that baby sleep in your room at night until 6 months of age but many parents, myself included, do move their children earlier.  It is entirely your choice.
I would suggest you lay your baby down to sleep wherever you want her to sleep.  Your aim is to set things up as you'd like them to continue so try to use that as your guide.  Every parent worries about interrupting good night sleeping, it is so beneficial to all of us!  However I think you'll find she'll be alright.  If you post your EASY you may not even need to do Shh-Pat, it may simply be a matter of a small routine tweak.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:00:19 am »
Whoops!  Forgot the link!
Shush-pat - How to

Offline jojodorian

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 18:49:09 pm »
Thank you!  I will try shush-pat and see if that works.  And thank you for the recommendation of keeping the baby in our room until 6 months-that's what we'll do!