Author Topic: Do you shush pat to sleep, or just till they're drowsy but awake?  (Read 949 times)

Offline tipofthetree

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I assumed it was the same as PUPD, i.e. shush pat them to calm them, then let them try to drift off themselves. But reading the 'how to' it says to do it till they 'melt into the cot', i.e. way past just falling asleep. This sounds nicer than PUPD and I did actually manage to Shush pat our boy to sleep last night as he woke up when I was putting him down.

Is the thinking - shush pat to completely to sleep, to teach them to go to sleep in their cot. Then gradually try to wean them off shush pat over time?

Can you pat their tummy instead of back? Any tips on how to do it with a wriggly baby?

Offline grace annes mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Do you shush pat to sleep, or just till they're drowsy but awake?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »
I think there are lots of ways to do it depending on what's comfortable for you and what your baby likes.  Here, I rock during WD til she's very still, then put her in the crib and pat.  I used to pat til asleep.  Now, I'm finding I can stop sooner and just keep a hand on her.  So, yes, we're gradually weaning.  I pat her on her upper thigh.  When she starts squirming, I tend to pat more firmly and throw in some shushing.  If she gets too crazy, I pick her up and pat or rock her for another couple minutes til she's calm again.
Hope this helps!