Author Topic: Lunch time nap battle!  (Read 914 times)

Offline anim80

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:27 am »
6.5month old settles well for her night and morning nap but struggling with the lunchtime one. 
Routine was (before solids did BF at 5)
7am wake and BF
9am nap
10.30-11am wake and BF
1.20 nap
3pm wake and BF
5pm was BF
6-6.30 BF, book then bed

Solids now at 8, 12 and 5. Starting to drop 11am BF as she's not too interested.
She is learning to crawl too. Used to nap v well in buggy, now only does about 30mins.
Try and have naps at home which sometimes means trying to get back before she sleeps in buggy transferring her if she did fall asleep. Seemed to work.

But now she is waking at 6am, still aim for 9am as first nap which is just about ok but max 1.5 hrs.
Aim for second nap at 1pm as she seems tired (sometimes seems tired earlier).

She yelps or chats or sometimes a slight cry intermittently and this can go on for a long time. I'd find it easier of she cries and I could go in and shhh as normally that would work after going once or twice (but usually not needed at all). Now a bit stuck as don't know how to help her learn to settle! Sshhh patting she just tried to play with my hands! Put her on belly and she tries to stick her bum up as per learning to crawl...
At the mo end up putting in carrier as last resort as I know she is tired and needs this nap to last until the evening!
Any ideas? Would PU/PD work? The noises are so short I'm not sure i'd pick her up whilst making a noise so not sure how this would work. Leaving her for an hour 'resting' I don't think will be enough for her to last rest of the day.
Am hoping that adding in evening porridge will help her sleep until 7am which might help get things back on track.
Would be nice if she can sometimes have a nap in her buggy if needed too...maybe I'm asking too much!!!
Any help/ideas would be great.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Lunch time nap battle!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:49:43 pm »
I think her awake time is too short hun and she's not settling because she's not tired :)  6am wake, 9am nap is 3 hours awake time which is just about average for this age, and why she can settle well and sleep 1.5 hours (a perfectly good nap!).  May also be why she has started waking earlier as a long early nap can encourage that to happen.  But then you are trying to get her back down only 2-2.5h after waking from her first nap and I can't imagine that she is tired enough to settle really.  She may be showing tired signs from habit if she's always had a nap at that time, but not really tired enough to sleep.  A couple of options for you:  if you want to keep naps at around 9am and 1pm, then I would start waking her up from her morning nap.  If it's typically 1.5h, try waking her after 1h15 instead and see if she will go down easier at 1pm.  Shortening her morning nap that way may also help improve your early starts.  The alternative option is to push her A time a bit, so probably start pushing her morning nap gently later and then slowly increase her A time between her first and second naps to 3h or so.  You should find she will be more willing to go down :)

Would be nice if she can sometimes have a nap in her buggy if needed too...maybe I'm asking too much!!!
I think this is as much personality as anything - I've had one who wouldn't and one who would.  You can always try it if you need to be out and if you have one wonky day, you can always get back on track the next x

Offline anim80

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:29:19 am »
Thanks, that makes sense now! Couldn't see the wood for the trees.

I know at some point she'll go to 1 nap. Does this end up being the morning nap which is gradually delayed? Or shorten the morning one and keep the afternoon one? We're a way off that but just wondering if it's good to start planning!

Thanks.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Lunch time nap battle!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:57:31 am »
It all amounts to the same in the end :) you can aim to keep a long morning nap and gradually push that later, keeping a catnap at the end of the day to get you through to bedtime.  That will eventually disappear and you end up with one nap in the late morning/lunchtime.  Or you gradually shorten the morning nap keeping a long afternoon one until the morning one is gone all together and the afternoon one comes a bit earlier to make up for it.  Either way can work - have a read of the FAQs on the 2-1 to get a few more ideas :)