Author Topic: 30mths waking at midnight.  (Read 1324 times)

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 17, 2016, 19:42:29 pm »
My youngest is 30mths old. She's stopped her daytime nap a long time ago and been doing well without it.  This past week she's started waking up around 11-12pm and coming out of bed o to the landing. Any ideas what's causing this please?

She wakes between 8am / 8.30am and bed is 8.00pm / 8.30 pm.

Has co slept with me since birth if that makes any difference. Many thanks

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 22:46:23 pm »
Appreciate any replies x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 30mths waking at midnight.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:35:08 am »
Tbh if you are co-sleeping I imagine she has woken at that time and realizes you are not in bed yet and comes looking for you (half birthdays are prime time for sleep disturbances so that could play a part). I have never co-slept besides the odd time during illness and we don't really advocate that on BW so I am not sure I can really be of any help xx
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:47:57 am »
thank you for your reply. Yes need to get her moved out of my bed. I'm attached to her and she's attached to me. Don't want to upset her but I know I need to let go.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 13:37:18 pm »
At her age I doubt there is any way to go about it that she won't get upset...but by using a method like gradual withdrawal you will be with her every step of the way. Does she have her own bedroom currently? Other siblings?
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 19:40:33 pm »
No she's slept in my bed since birth. She has 2 sisters and a brother. I really would like her to sleep independently but I'm scared I'll upset her. She's been such a hard baby/ toddler and I just hope I'm strong enough for her.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 14:29:38 pm »
Would she be sharing a room with a sibling? We are just in the process of switching DD3 (2.5 as well) to share with DD2 not sure how it will go. I think if you go into it with the mind set that she will probably get upset but that you will be there for her and stay firm.to what you want the end result to be then you can do it. But tbh I would only go ahead once you are truly ready for it as going back and forth would be confusing for a lo.
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 15:30:38 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply. im going to buy her a bed this week.  The other two girls sometimes wake to pee and different things during the night so I'd be afraid of them waking her. My only boy is great he sleeps all night with no noise so she might be best in with him.

She's using my arms as a prop and likes to rub them during them to comfort herself. So tonight I'm thinking of wearing a long sleeve top? Giving her a comforter teddy of blanket instead.
So at least I'll have her weaned off my arms and then try the bed.

What's the best way to approach the bed movement thing? I don't mind taking our time and doing it gradually, rather than having her upset. Do I lie with her in his room? What do I go if she wakes up and climbs out ? Appreciate your replies.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 15:43:53 pm »
For sure the gradual approach would be best...if it were me I would want to set up camp on the floor in the room to start (and not be in bed with her so she doesn't get the idea that you are just co-sleeping in a new location!). Also explain to your DS what the goal is so he doesn't start thinking the mommy sleepovers are great! If she wakes up just keep returning her to bed with as little interaction as possible except a phrase like "it is night time, we all need to be in bed" or something. Hmm not sure if you will be able to break the arm rubbing habit before you move her but I would certainly try long sleeves and a lovey, can't hurt!
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 15:50:31 pm »
Haha why do you think she won't stop the arm rubbing? ;) she's a little monkey. Very spirited and strong minded some will just have to try it and see how it goes.

That's a good idea I'll set upon the floor beside her. If she keeps crying and getting up looking for me over the bed do I just keep getting up and laying her back down?

If she wakes in the night crying wanting my bed, what will I do also? I don't want her waking ds as he has school.... It's a hard one.
Poor ds I'll have to warn him in advance.

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 05:52:51 am »
Because she sounds just like my DD3 ;)

I would skip the laying down part and just repeat a phrase (unless she actually gets out of bed). Constanly laying her down might turn into a game ! How old is your DS? Would he wear ear plugs or ear muffs temporarily? Though he may surprise you - my kids never notice much at night.
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 07:05:14 am »
I wore long sleeves last night and she asked a few times for mammy so arms but I just said mammy was cold and kept reading her book. She went off to sleep shortly after. My ds is 6. He probably would wear ear plugs. That's a good idea thank you.

If she's asleep in his room and comes into my room at night do I just go in and lay her back in her own room and walk out or should I sit by her bed until she's asleep again?

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 22:56:28 pm »
Oh awesome that the long sleeves worked! Tbh I always walk out first just on the off chance that I might not be needed...if it escalates right away I just go right back in.
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 23:16:11 pm »
Thank you. I'll see how we get on. Appreciate your help x

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 04:34:34 am »
My fingers are crossed that it goes super smoothly xx