Author Topic: Canines causing this many problems?!  (Read 945 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Canines causing this many problems?!
« on: May 13, 2016, 13:27:47 pm »
Hi all,

I am desperate for some help. Ds is 18.5 months and just cutting his canines (bottom two have cut but tooth not fully through and top two are pressing) and everything has gone to pot. For the past two days he has really struggled to stay asleep for longer than twenty minutes at a time. He is having nurofen and ambesol and this seems to help him get off to sleep initially but isn't helping him to stay asleep. He is obviously getting pretty overtired now too. I know there is a sleep regression around this age and I'm not sure if that is playing a part too. I'm really at a loss what to do. I have been keeping his routine consistent in case it is regression and I need to ride it out:

Wu 6
Nap 1230-230
Bt 7 (although is taking longer and longer to go to sleep)

I took him out in the car this morning to see if he would do a quick cn as the night was so bad but he didn't even attempt to close his eyes. He went down in his cot at the normal time but the nap has been very broken. What do I do? Wait until the teeth are through and see if it goes back to normal? Anything anyone has found particularly good to use when the canines are coming through? He has always dealt with teething well so this has completely thrown me!

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 13:35:12 pm »
Hiya love,

Yep, 18 month sleep regression and canines to boot. Poor mite.

Canines were awful here too. Medicate and maybe something frozen to chew on. We used to freeze a baby facecloth for my DS.

Can you get Highlands Teething Tablets in the UK. We used them and they helped a lot.

Hang in there, it will pass. It's so tough on them, the pain is the worst when lying down.

"But the fighter still remains"

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Canines causing this many problems?!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 14:59:21 pm »
Thank you so much for your response. Would you say that consistency is the key to getting through it? He is so tired but already fights bt so I don't know if ebt would help him catch up or not. I will try looking for the tablets you mentioned.... I will try anything to help him! I assume the twenty minute wake ups are discomfort and not just the regression?

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 15:35:57 pm »
Yes try and be as consistent as you can. Try an EBT if he is really overtired - which it sounds like he is. The regression, unfortunately, you just have to ride out. It's a tough one for sure. Medicate for the teeth. they are pointy little beggars and they sure hurt pushing down. Lots of snuggles and patience!
It's hard but you'll both get through it!

I did and my DS was an AWFUL sleeper at the best of times!

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 16:50:36 pm »
Canines caused us weeks (months) of hell as they were so slow to cut.

Giving a dream dose of medicine really helped stretch her sleep longer so might be something you want to consider doing?
Lauren

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 18:59:53 pm »
The first two didn't seem too bad but the top ones are horrendous :(. I may try the Dream meds as he would be able to have another dose around the time I go to bed.

I wouldn't be feeling so desperate about it if it wasn't for the fact that I am due baby number 2 in a weeks time and I can't bare the thought of not being there for my little boy overnight when needs me :(.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 19:05:47 pm »
My word, DS seemed to teeth permanently through the entire year. I remember 3 day and nights of ZERO pain, independent sleep and sleeping through the night in between the canines finishing and the molars starting.
So, yes, canines can certainly be bad bad bad.  I said at the time I would be setting rat-traps for that **** tooth fairy.  She better pay good money for those teeth, he suffered enough!

Dosing with ibuprofen and paracetamol was our approach.  Big plastic letter to chew on, bread sticks too. and lots and lots and lots of cuddles.

Raw celery is supposed to be a good teether, hard enough to provide pain relief for the gums, and a natural local anaesthetic...not that I ever heard of a single kid that would gum the stuff mind you.  I've posted this little gem of useless advice about a hundred times but you never know, one day it might help someone. :)

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 20:24:46 pm »
Our pediatrician said the first two years, they are almost constantly teething to some degree. All those teeth on the move...It's tough on them and us!

Congrats on baby #2!

I'm sure DS1 will sort out soon enough. Defo try the dream meds. I forgot we used to do that too. Keeps them comfy and sleeping.