Author Topic: 8 month old will not sleep for mom  (Read 625 times)

Offline lsamson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 13, 2016, 13:37:59 pm »
Help!  I have been doing EASY for three weeks now, and my bb will go down for the nanny and for dad, but not for me.  I mean he screams and screams.  It can take up to an hour and a half to get him down for a nap.  I am desperate.  My 6 year old will be home with me all summer, and I can't leave her to "hang out" while I spend a large part of the day trying to get him down.  I am about to give up.  I don't put him down until he is tired.  Here is his schedule.

WU: 6:00 or 6:30
E: 7:00-7:30
A: 7:30-8:30
Putting down: 8:30-10:00
S (if he goes down): to 11:00
E: 11:00-11:30
A: 11:30-1:00 or 1:30
Putting down: 1:30-2:30
S (if he goes down): to 3:00 or 3:30
E: 3:30-4:00
A: 4:00-6:00 (sometimes he will take a cat nap in this time too)
E: 6:00-6:30
Putting down: 7:00-8:00
S: 8:00

I have tried sticking to a more strict schedule, but this doesn't help either.  I watch for his cues, and try to respond as quickly as possible.  He often gives me hungry cues when he is tired, because I used to nurse him to sleep.  I know that he is worse for me because he smells my milk and wants that comfort.  How do I get over this hump?  Things are getting progressively worse.  Cry it out is looking more and more attractive. 

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 8 month old will not sleep for mom
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 18:55:48 pm »
(((Hugs))), it's really stressful when LOs just don't settle well.  We've all been there :-* Please don't go the CIO route though - I can guarantee that is not an easy no-stress option and all it will teach LO is that Mummy no longer comes when he needs her :(  We'd love to help you out with gentler methods that maintain the bond of trust between you - if he's crying, there's a reason - sometimes it just takes a bit of figuring out :).

Firstly, if he was used to nursing to sleep it makes sense that he protests much more for you than for others.  Second, 8 months is a time when separation anxiety often kicks in - we had an awful time with DD at this age who despite being an independent sleeper would scream blue murder for up to an hour before settling.  Are you seeing any signs of that during the daytime e.g. crying when you leave, not liking strangers?

Third - when and how do nanny and daddy put him down?  Are they doing the same routine as you at the same sort of times?

My feeling would be from the routine you posted that you are trying to put him down too early, i.e. he isn't tired enough.  Most 8 month olds would manage at least 3h, if not 3.5h awake before needing to sleep.  I think he is probably protesting because he isn't properly tired enough to sleep, and then fighting, getting himself totally worked up and overtired in the process.  Cues are all very well but can be misleading as LOs get older - for example yawns and 'zoning out' can just be boredom and needing a change of scenery. 

I would be aiming for (in the first instance) a two nap routine with about 3-3.5 hours awake time between naps, and see if that suits him better and makes it easier to get him down.  Say something like:

WU 6/6.30
Nap 9.30-11
Nap 2/2.30-4
BT 7.30ish

That's the ideal anyway!  But worth having something to aim at and be consistent with longer A times for a few days, and see how it goes x

Offline lsamson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 17:30:46 pm »
Thanks. I will try that, but his morning nap will have to be over at 9:40, since my daughter had swim practice every day at 9:45. So I may have to modify it. It is most likely separation anxiety. Like I said though, I can't spend hours hold up with him in his room trying to get him down, when my daughter is home. It just isn't safe for her. I will try longer A, and see how that goes.

Also, I am not sure what to do with him sitting up in his crib all the time. He is like a whack-a-mole. As soon as I lay him back down, he pops back up. Any suggestions for this?