Author Topic: BT quirks!  (Read 969 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
BT quirks!
« on: May 13, 2016, 19:42:57 pm »
Not sure whether this should be in the lounge so please move if you feel it's more appropriate there, but it is toddler sleep related so thought I'd start it off here :)

What strange/frustrating/hilarious rituals have your toddlers ended up with at BT? Mine seems to have developed a fixation with her toes, and insists that they're kissed before we zip her up into her sleeping bag, she'll often kiss them herself too ;D One of her first two-word phrases, actually - "kiss toe"!

On a more frustrating note, she's got into the water habit at BT. A few weeks ago, in hindsight, I'd stopped her reflux meds, assuming she didn't need them any more, but too early, it seems, since she became increasingly upset at BT and the only thing that would soothe her was to drink water slowly. Now she's back on the Ranitidine, which is definitely working as she's no longer in discomfort, but she still insists on having a long drink of water at BT ??? Won't drink it earlier, well, she's pretty good at drinking during the day but won't have it earlier in the BT routine, for a while she was happy to just have a few sips right before PD, then the reflux discomfort started and she'd have it for much longer, we'd usually have to go back in after BT as she was screaming and give her more then, before she'd finally settle down to sleep. Nowadays it's definitely just playing, but she'll hold onto that cup and none of the tricks I used before (eg asking her to put it back in its place herself) work any more, in the end I have to take it from her, to protests! But if she's actually thirsty, she'll down it pretty quickly, she's not doing that at all and just giggles when I try to encourage her to give it up ::) I thought I'd just put her in her cot to finish her 'drink' in case it was just that she wanted extra cuddles (which is all very well but when she's clearly approaching the crazy stage of tired, I'd prefer to PD before she ends up winding herself up!), but she'd end up lying down with the cup still in her mouth, spilling it on herself and her mattress. Perhaps I should never have let her have it in her cot... Anyway, we'll muddle through and I'll work out appropriate boundaries as I've clearly done some AP here :P - any suggestions appreciated of course ;) but I guess I'm also just curious to know what other habits your LOs have at BT?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: BT quirks!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:26:20 am »
We keep a spill proof sippy in the crib (well we did for the older 2, DD3 has never asked for water at night yet!). Not full, just with a wee bit of water...that way it was in their control and not a cause for battles at bedtime.
Heidi

Offline trimbler

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 17:06:47 pm »
I probably need to find one of those! Any brand recommendations?? :)

Offline -Maya-

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 17:26:09 pm »
Hugs Trimbler. Until now ds has no particular routine to bed. Now he insists on me staying in room with him. I stay a little time or until he falls asleep according his mood. I am worried about this but I can't convince me to ditch that.
Water is a common request for us also. I keep always a bottle or a non spilling cup close to his bed so that I can give it to him as sokn as he asks. He is not the best at drinking during day so I prefer this way. I appreciate suggestion of previous post about putting cup in a place da can reach but only option is the crib itself and I am not sure cup does not hurt him during the night. I wonder what other options exists and if he is really able to find the cup in total darkness.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:09:24 am »
DD2 was in a completely blacked out room until she was 5 and she was able to find anything in her bed.

We have used all sorts of cups - each kid had one they liked best. DD3 loves her playtex straw cup at home but has a nuby cuo at Grandma's lol.
Heidi

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 17:21:47 pm »
They become so fixated on things, don't they?! We're having similar issues, except it's with a song, or the way he turns off the light switch, or how many kisses he must give me before I leave. Lately, he has to flip through a book himself after we read it. Sometimes he doesn't even read it out loud, just silently flips through.

The full on bedtime tantrums have been frustrating and prolongs bed so much! When DH is home, he'll do bedtime and it helps, or will hold DS until he calms down, but we move on to the next thing.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 20:05:35 pm »
Aw but sweet at the same time, when he's wanting to give you more kisses? ;) DD's toe kisses just cracks me up - her words are finally starting to come now, but when one of her first two-word phrases is 'kiss toes'... ;D Sorry you're getting those BT tantrums :-\ These toddlers just have so much will and character in such tiny bodies, don't they - I always find it amazing, if frustrating at times :P

Offline trimbler

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 21:39:52 pm »
Argh ok she seems to be over her water thing now, having freely put it down herself the last few nights, so now I know our problems are routine related, rather than 'just' toddler quirks... I know we either need to cap the nap or push BT but right now it doesn't seem to make much difference what we do, she still takes almost an hour to drop off ::) or then again perhaps it's partly developmental, since her speech is suddenly taking off, at last! Getting frustrated now as she's clearly tired and has started ew although she'll kind of doze off and then she really doesn't want to get up when it's time (not much wriggle room there either as I have to get to work). DH and I have this discussion every night now about whether to push or go for EBT... Atm we're getting something like:

EW around 4:30? Then sometimes back to sleep, sometimes just dozing with intermittent noises/talking/fussing
6:45 WU (she's kind of quiet by then, presumably asleep, sometimes sound asleep and reluctant to wake)
12:45-2:45 nap (I sometimes let her go to 3pm, which I keep telling myself I shouldn't but she is tired...)
Then try for BT 6:45/7pm, but sometimes as early as 6:30, sometimes push to 7:15. Asleep between 7:30/8pm (later if later PD, but often later with early PD too) - sometimes she's quiet at PD but then starts chatting later; other times intermittent fussing, or crying which is easily settled by laying her back down. Tonight it was PD 7:15, asleep just after 8pm, then a 30min OT cry-out...

Blah! She's tended to be HSN, was doing around 14h at Christmas on two naps but was clearly tired on it, jumped up to 15h in the new year on one nap and seemed better rested but I'm guessing she's needing around 14h now, 13.5h minimum, surely? She's very prone to meltdowns now or otherwise just getting very hyper!