Author Topic: 6MO - what the heck has happened??  (Read 905 times)

Offline SusieQue

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 17, 2016, 18:42:13 pm »
Hi ladies, I'm hoping someone can help with advice for my 6mo who overnight has turned from happy and calm to grumpy and doesn't want to be put down! The main problem is bedtime - he has been in a routine from a couple of weeks old of bath, bottle and bed and has always gone down awake and Fallen asleep independently. Occasionally he would cry out for a bit after being put down but that usually meant he was still hungry so we would go back up and he would finish his bottle, no problem. In the past few days though he has been shouting a lot after being put down. We offer more milk but he doesn't take it. It seems developmental to me, almost like he Needs to shout for 15 minutes before falling asleep! He doesn't get distressed, it's more of a protest shout. I'm pretty sure his routine needs tweaking but I'm not sure where! I already have a 4YO so we're out and about in the day and the routine isn't always the same. Mostly it's this though:

WU anywhere between 5 and 6am
Feed 6am
Bed 7.30, asleep without fuss within 10 minutes
A 9-9.30
E 10am
S - I usually go out about 10.30 or 11 and he sleeps in the pram for maybe 40 minutes, he might have a second catnap after that on the way home
E 2
S usually have to cuddle him to sleep for the afternoon catnap around 3pm, never for more than 30 minutes
Start bath at 5.30 then bottle around 5.50 and in bed just after 6. Lately he has been shouting quite a lot at bedtime, which he's never done before, but eventually falls asleep on his own.

Does anything jump out to you about where we're going wrong? I just don't know if he's UT or OT at the moment but he's definitely grouchier than he used to be! We give Calpol for teeth when I think he needs it but I'm not sure that's the problem. Lately he has been waking at 4am and shouting then drifting back to sleep until about 5, when he shouts until I get him up.

Any advice appreciated!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: 6MO - what the heck has happened??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 18:49:41 pm »
His A times look super short to me. Granted my 6mo is LSN, but we are on an A time of between 3 and 4 hours.

I think you need to push it out a bit, and that's maybe the cause of the shouting: 'Mum, I'm not ready to sleep!'
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline SusieQue

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:02:48 am »
Ah, thanks for the reply! So last night he woke up at 11.45 and it took us nearly two hours of rocking to get him back to sleep (plus a bottle which he hasn't taken at night since he was 4 months). Our EASY yesterday was this, so I'm not sure where it went wrong - my hunch is UT rather than OT but I just don't know anymore!

A 5am
E 6am
S 7.30 - he was super tired as he woke up at 4am and was in and out of sleep until 5
A 9.30
E 10
He fell asleep briefly in the car on the way back from shopping at about 11.30. Tried him on some carrots at 12 then put to bed at 12.30. Not having any of it! Eventually put in the pram at 1 and he had about 40 minutes
E 2
S 3.30 (usually have to cuddle for this catnap), awake at 4
Bed 6.10, he shouted for about 10 minutes then fell asleep, but woke up at 11.45pm

This morning he woke at 6 but is super grouchy! Can anyone advise a good routine at this age? I can't find the EASY routines thread and I know there's something about dropping the catnap at this age!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:30:31 am »
If it helps at all, here is our (current ideal) routine:

7am wake
10-10.40 nap
1-2.40 nap
Bed at 7

It rarely runs to this perfectly, but it's what I've got in my head to aim for. Does that make sense?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:42 am »
My DD is 6 months this week. She is in the process of dropping the nap but we mostly have to do 3 naps still because I can't get the 2nd one to be longer than 45min. Once I get that 2nd A time right this is what I'll be aiming for:

Wu 6
Nap 9.15-10.45
Nap 2.00-3.30
BT 6.30

Lauren

Offline SusieQue

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 13:49:06 pm »
Wow, they are totally different to what we're doing! The thing in not sure of though is like today, he slept about 2 hours this morning and woke at 10, then had a nap in his pram from 1 until 1.40. I've just put him to bed for a CN but he's screaming bloody murder so do I leave it and just put him to bed early?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 19:32:20 pm »
Hi,

Here are the FAQ if you still need them!

Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Have you agree with the others that he seems UT.. Maybe start to extend those A times a bit now x