Author Topic: 7.5 month old refusing bedtime bottle  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Gully

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: May 19, 2016, 17:58:52 pm »
Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice about our lo. She is just over 7.5 months and three times in the past week has refused her bedtime bottle. she opens her month for it, sucks once or twice and then stops. If we persist she gets very upset. We recently saw her paediatrician and he said she was drinking too much milk. He believes we need to push the solids more to help her reflux. Could it be that she is just full?

Our EASY looks like this:

6am Wake up happy. (We leave her playing in cot until 6: 40)
6:45 Bottle 8oz
8:00 Breakfast Pear puree and baby rice, a small piece of brown toast.

9:30 Sleep
11:00 Wakes
11:05 Bottle 8 oz
12:15 Solids 8 spoons of pureed chicken and carrot, half a baby rice cake, water
2:30 Bottle 8oz

2:45 Sleep
4:15 wake up
5:30 Baby porridge(20 spoons), half a rice cake
6:45 Bath, Bottle 8oz (been refusing)
7:15 bed
7:30 asleep

It doesn't seem to cause her to wake hungry in the night, she hasn't had a dream feed in months. I've given her nurofen and teething gels but she still refuses.
So I'm wondering if I should reduce the amount at 2:30 by a couple of ounces? And the 11 am? A couple of weeks ago she really cut back on the day bottles (dropped four ounces of 11, and 2 off three). I thought it was teething and kept offering her it until she drank most of it in the end. Now I'm worried that that was her trying to drop the 11 and I missed it!

Would really appreciate any thoughts you may have?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 7.5 month old refusing bedtime bottle
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 13:06:11 pm »
To be honest, if she isn't waking at night hungry then I would just offer and if she doesn't take it leave her, it's not a bad thing for a refluxer not to have a full tummy at night.

She's getting 3 good bottles with solids so she's having more than enough milk in 24 hours. The other thing you could do is offer her finger foods rather than porridge at the end of the day as porridge is quite filling.

HTH!

Laura

Offline Gully

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 7.5 month old refusing bedtime bottle
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 19:14:04 pm »
HI Laura,

Thanks, I'll try that. She took the bottle the last two nights, but left a few ounces off the 11 am bottle. We'll try changing the porridge out and see.

Thanks again