Author Topic: 45 min wake ups for 11 week old  (Read 1759 times)

Offline SofisMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
45 min wake ups for 11 week old
« on: May 31, 2016, 21:55:23 pm »
My 11 week old wakes up somewhere between 35-45 mins for about half of her naps. Her first nap of the day is usually great (and I have to wake her up from it), but the other naps vary. What causes the 45 min wake up? Being over tired or under tired? Right now her A time ranges from 1 hour to 1 hour 20 mins, I'm not sure which would be better for her at this age? I usually try for an hour because she starts fussing, but perhaps A time should be extended at 11 weeks?
Mom to two daughters, born June 2014 and March 2016. BW worked great on my first, can't wait to see results with my 2nd!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 45 min wake ups for 11 week old
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 20:49:28 pm »
Hi!

Have you seen the average A times in FAQ:

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Sounds like your A times might be a little low which could be contributing to short naps (under tired). Sometimes babies fuss a bit early but a change of room or activity can keep them going a bit longer.

If you want to post your typical routine in EASY format we can have a look at it.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline SofisMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 21:28:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

The reason I didn't think she was under tired because she sometimes cries a lot while we are swaddling or while I put her in her crib, and then falls asleep fairly quickly (3-4 minutes) once I put her down and shush-pat. Would you agree she may be over-tired at this point, or am I reading her cues wrong?
Mom to two daughters, born June 2014 and March 2016. BW worked great on my first, can't wait to see results with my 2nd!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »
Hard to say, that does sound like she's tired, but some babies cry at WD when  UT too.

Could you post your typical day? Or last 2-3 days if they vary a lot.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:36:37 am »
Following. My 9 week old has been catnapping horribly since being sick.
DS 1: Textbook baby, February 2012. Kind and loving big brother to...
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 23:14:05 pm »
Just putting this out thete - Do we really believe catnapping is caused by anything we can control?  Maybe it's just something we need to work through with baby until he grows out of it. (I.e. not caused by over or under tired or hunger). I say this as I've tried all solutions supposedly relating to causes of catnapping and none of them work. My son hasn't slept through a day sleep without assistance for 2 weeks since he was sick actually. Maybe it is just a stage that needs to be helped through and they learn to resettle if helped to do so? Awake time might influence catnapping as well as hunger but nominally my experience is showing that even when I have eliminated these factors catnapping is still occurring and all I can do atm is ride it out and hope that my efforts to assist to next cycle will pay dividends soon. There's been a random day sleep here and there with a resettle independently including this morning.

I don't remember this being as bad with my first son. Problems with him though were different as ds2 has been on a routine and self settling far earlier than ds1. Ds1 would not settle to sleep independently so it affected day and night sleeps so maybe the catnapping was lost in the resettles for that reason and I don't remember it being as significant. Anyway am rambling a bit... i too wondered about catnapping and why it occurs but it seems that 90% of babies do it at this age so it must be a developmental thing in part.
DS 1: Textbook baby, February 2012. Kind and loving big brother to...
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 13:49:22 pm »
Interesting discussion  :)

I think some catnapping is developmental and some babies catnap more often than others, so it is also an individual baby thing.  That said, there are things to try that can help lengthen naps e.g. time awake (A time), stimulation level, independent sleep etc.

Feel free to start a thread if you'd like another pair of eyes on your LO's nap routine.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline alwaystired

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 23:54:34 pm »
I'm following this too. My LO naps 30 minutes in the first half of the day, and then a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 05:19:38 am »
Hi alwaystired. If you want to start a new thread with your EASY then we can try to help fix the 30min nap problem.
Lauren

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 14:29:42 pm »
Always tired - how old is your LO? My DS did a similar short-long routine after he went to 2 naps at about 7mo & was fine on that pattern.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline alwaystired

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 18:30:17 pm »
Hes only 11 weeks, but its almost identical to the first posters problem! Although today he flipped it, an hour long nap in the morning and so far several 30 minutes ones.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 19:35:35 pm »
At least he's getting at least 1 long nap! Feel free to start a new thread and post your typical EASY routine and some background info there is you want to chat about his naps a bit more
Xx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD