Author Topic: Going to bed later as it stays lighter out later  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Going to bed later as it stays lighter out later
« on: June 02, 2016, 13:18:29 pm »
My almost 3 year old has been sleeping in every morning. Some days until 830 and I have to wake him!  I've been waking him by 8 the past few days otherwise he's up too late at night. But I'm thinking maybe that's why he's sleeping in the mornings. We've been doing 8am-8 pm which is fine bit my concern is camp starts in less than 2 weeks and we have to be out of the house by 845!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Going to bed later as it stays lighter out later
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 13:49:15 pm »
what time would you need him up by to be out of the house by 8.45?

maybe start waking him at that time and then work out what BT that would lead to based on his average night length.  Might take him a little while to shift but he should get there.

Is his room light at BT?  Do you have blackout blinds? 

I try to draw all the curtains upstairs at bath and BT, to dim the light down a bit and get them (esp DD2) and their bodies used to the idea that it will be BT soon (and to maybe(?) help melatonin production etc...). Then DD2's bedroom is pretty dark. Some light still creeps in around the edges but it's dark enough that she is still nodding off fine. 

It seems that the lightness doesn't bother your DS in the morning?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 21:00:21 pm »
 He usually does 12 hours. So maybe I can shoot for 730 wake up 730 bedtime. But he's been exhausted and miserable in the morning if I try to wake him. We have black outs and def helps at bedtime also allows him to sleep in the morning lol

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:41:56 am »
I have a lamp on a timer in DS's room which wakes him in the morning (well he is usually awake by then these days, our black out curtain is blacking out as much as is needed).  There have been times in the past when he was SO tired he slept through the lamp light but mostly it would wake him.  Maybe an idea for you?  I just use a regular long life bulb but there are those sun light bulbs you can get which make it even more like day light.  Either way waking earlier for a few days should help with going to bed a bit earlier.
It could help to shut the family room or downstairs blinds/curtains earlier on in the evening to give the feeling of evening time before bath and bed too.

I'd prob start waking him 15 mins earlier for a few days then another 15 mins...and have a regular WU time before the camp starts so he is well adjusted.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:40:22 am »
^^^ ITA :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 23:59:12 pm »
Today I went into his room at 735 and he sat right up but he didn't fall asleep until 8 tonight. I'll continue to wake by 730.