Author Topic: Almost 2yo I'm stuck!  (Read 979 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Almost 2yo I'm stuck!
« on: June 11, 2016, 08:24:05 am »
Hello, haven't been able to get on here much recently but really feeling at my wit's end today after another rubbish night! We just haven't had a decent one in so long :(

For ages, the day looked something like this:

6:45 Up
12:45 nap - 2:45 (have to wake for school run)
BT try for 6:45/7, end up with more like 7:45. But if we PD later it still took ages for her to get off, up to 8:30 or later, and then she was way, way, OT and suffered the next day.

I wouldn't have minded that routine, only it was clear from her behaviour that she wasn't getting enough sleep, she just had trouble getting off at BT, and every so often she'd really go crazy and somehow we'd get a 'reset' and then stumble along with the above routine until the next crazy patch (or illness) came along.

So, after weeks of the above (months, really), I finally decided to be brave and cap the nap. Since we're restricted by the school run and getting home from work in the evening, we moved the morning later to achieve this, ie:

7am Up
1-2:45 nap
6:45 BT - result! She actually seems to be getting off nicely now :)

Which would be great, if she then went on to sleep well :P But since starting this on Tuesday, the first night it didn't really work as MIL was here and DD got over excited and ended up going down for her nap late and taking ages at BT too ::) Wednesday was lovely, exactly as planned and woke her at 7am to get ready to go to the CM :) Thursday I was working late and DH forgot to give her her Ran at BT, I suspect that was the reason she slept poorly that night , as she did seem to be in discomfort :( But then yesterday night was really awful and I just don't know why, kept waking, EW'd this morning and spent most of the time for the last 2.5h screaming her head off! Like she is now, so I'd better go, but any thoughts on whether to stick to this plan or try something else would be appreciated :-*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Almost 2yo I'm stuck!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 18:09:26 pm »
Your new routine looks great and looks like one to stick with for now IMO :)

I don't think enough normal days have gone by to see how she settles into it, the few days on this routine are a bit messy with other things happening so I'd just continue for now.

I wouldn't link the 2.5hr screaming with this change in routine, sounds more like illness or teeth.  Has she got her molars fully through or could this be a molar movement/cutting?

I'd also expect sleep to go somewhat off track just because she' so close to her birthday - mine always goes off track around that time.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Almost 2yo I'm stuck!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 20:06:54 pm »
Thanks creations, you're probably right I should just stick with it, she actually took an hour to get to sleep again tonight, but she did have an exciting afternoon. Would just be so nice to settle into a routine with consistently good nights, we haven't really had that in over a year :-\ As for teeth, she's the latest, slowest teether ever, still has only ten through and no real signs of any others on the move, although I'd be expecting some soon, surely! She is a girl of extremes, she does have horrible tantrums when tired, but when she finally snaps out of it she's all smiles and giggles, but in a crazy/hyper way, when OT ;) Definitely getting ready for being two now :P Ok, will continue as is, as far as possible, and wait to see what happens... Thanks :-*