Author Topic: 18 mth SR!!! refuse napping/EW  (Read 1206 times)

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 13, 2016, 13:43:43 pm »
I guess it is 18 mth old SR? My girl hasn't had nap for last week except weekends (My husband and I went out for shopping on Saturday and Sunday and she slep in the pram for only 1 hour).

Basically what is happening is that she refuses to nap and I leave her in her own room for an hour as quiet time. She will cry a little bit when I just close the door and then stand or sit in her cot quietly until about 1 hour later. She is fine in the afternoon, no tired sign, I make the bedtime half an hour earlier and the night sleep is still normal so far.

BTW, Today I tried to let her catnap in the pram like the weekends, I walked like half an hour and she didn't sleep :(

Here is our normal routine and "SR routine":
7-7:30am wake up
7:30 breakfast
9:30-10:00 snack
12:00 lunch
13:00-14:30 nap (no nap for the last week, quiet time for an hour)
15:00 snack
17:00-17:30 dinner
19:30 bedtime (move it to 19:00 when nap is gone)

I am thinking just combine the quiet time and catnap as a solution. But don't know it is the right thing to do and when this will end. Any ideas ladies?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:58:26 am by sszskristy »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 17:10:52 pm »
SR can last for 4-6 weeks even so be patient. She may be not be ready for complete nap removal but just try to follow her lead. When you will see that she is crushing - really apop a catnap, even it means an hour walk in a pram if you can allow yourself for that.
~Marta

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:57:34 am »
SR can last for 4-6 weeks even so be patient. She may be not be ready for complete nap removal but just try to follow her lead. When you will see that she is crushing - really apop a catnap, even it means an hour walk in a pram if you can allow yourself for that.

It has been another week but things is not going better...I think I need more advice please.

The nap is still a problem. We live in Australia and it is so cold now and also has been raining lately...so I can't walk outside anymore..What I did for the last week is to stay with her in a single bed in her room until she falls asleep. That's the only way to make her have a nap now. I don't know why walk in walk out didn't work out anymore. It worked when 12 mth SR happened.

Plus, we have EW and NW problems now fortunately it is not happening every night or morning. And my husband will go to settle her but actually it is very hard to get her go back to sleep, he just moved her to that single bed and sleep together until 7 in the morning.

I wonder if the WIWO is not working,  is it ok to stay with her until she sleeps? Will this become a new habit? My baby can self settle since 4 mth old, I would say she is a good sleeper. But she will never ever miss any SR, the 4 mth, 9 mth, 12 mth and now 18 mth. Everytime we will be fine and go back on track. However I am still worried because she is becoming a toddler now, everything is different now!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 18 mth SR!!! refuse napping/EW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:22:55 pm »
Hi there, I'd say from personal experience if you want to stay with her and she go to sleep fast do that for now, maybe start some GW? I found most of the time when SR are over the independent sleep returns.
Zoe

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:46:28 am »
Hi there, I'd say from personal experience if you want to stay with her and she go to sleep fast do that for now, maybe start some GW? I found most of the time when SR are over the independent sleep returns.

Thanks for replying! I used the "chair method" or what's u called GW today and it worked! She was in her cot and I sat there until she closed her eyes. It took less than 10 minutes and no crying. It is weird that she become independent sleeper again at bedtime, which is good though. But I think if she wakes up during night or in early morning, we will still move her to single bed and sleep together...just can't keep eyes open since she can sleep through the night...

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 18 mth SR!!! refuse napping/EW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 14:29:57 pm »
Sometimes you have to just go with what works for now. Great to hear GW working  :) :)
Zoe