Author Topic: Fighting sleep  (Read 2824 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Fighting sleep
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 18:15:08 pm »
Just had a quick read - it looks like things are going really well now! :)
Good to see the WUs have improved a lot and the nap seems to be going pretty well too.
Nap somewhere between 11 and 12 (most days around 1130 and anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, a few times she's woken up at between 1 and 1 1/2 hrs grumpy but went back to sleep with a little soothing)
You might just need to keep resettling on the shorter nap and she might perhaps settle down in a while...or you might see a pattern linked to either the earlier WU, the later Wu or the earlier/later nap time.  if you see a pattern you can use it to help tweak a little but it sounds like you are almost spot on now.

The other thing is that she might be ready for set times now. At around 12 months it is often useful to move to set times for nap and BT rather than calculating A times. So you would basically stick to whatever time seems the most suitable (say 11.30am nap and 7.30pm BT) and keep at that.  if/when things go a bit off track you still tweak the routine by moving nap a bit later or capping a bit earlier etc but then stick with it.  it means the times don't change every day and LO has a good chance of self regulating on the sleep.
hth x

Offline albers30

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 03:29:45 am »
Things were going well until the past week when suddenly she doesn't seem to get by to bedtime without being OT.  She still wants her morning nap around 11, although a few days she's had this weird 930 am need to nap even though she's only been up a few hours, which is generally around 2 hours.  This leaves her wanting a CN around 5 or 6 making bedtime a little later and/or difficult.  If we skip the CN she stays pretty happy but it can be a mega fight to get her to sleep if she CNs then bedtime becomes 9-930ish or is a fight if earlier.  I've tried an earlier CN and she refuses.  I've tried putting her down at 6 for bedtime but she wakes up in 30 minutes wanting to play.  Suggestions on how to handle this?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:10 am »
If it's only been a few days it could be an illness coming on, sometimes sleep is the first sign before something else shows itself.
Otherwise I'd suggest a change of scenery or activity for the 9.30am tiredness to get her past it and keep nap time consistent.

Offline albers30

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 17:55:39 pm »
That's very doable.  But what about the getting drowsy and wanting a CN aroun 5ish?  SOmetimes this is unavoidable do to car rides for older kids activities but otherwise.  We've tried an earlier bedtime and she just thought is should be a CN and was up in 30 minutes wanting to play for several hours.  Otherwise its a struggle to get her to sleep with no CN and later bedtime but I'm starting to wonder if some of that is behavioral.  Thoughts?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 10:11:32 am »
I'm afraid the afternoon CN in the car is just one of those things, if you can't avoid it then you can't avoid it.  I discovered with mine if he nodded off in the car I needed to wake him to second we arrived somewhere rather than let him sleep on. he would be in a terrible mood but happier to have only nodded of a few mins rather than being given a full 30-40 mins.
If when you skip the afternoon CN you try for the EBT maybe you are trying too early?
Things will be easier to work out when you get that nap back to a later time, closer to mid day rather than at 9.30, I would suggest judging anything else after you've got that settled.